Request for a “ComponentMaterialProperty(propertyName)" worksheet function 

Tom W.

Question

Cheers @E|FA I started that video but didn't finish it... Same with several of the others! But yes I'm aware you can now use Data Tags to label component names which is great! See:

But in that thread @Nikolay Zhelyazkov confirmed that there wasn't yet the capacity to do what I want with the Material Property data fields. The new function would allow you to label a component's product name, manufacturer, lambda, etc etc with a Data Tag plus the Description/Mark/Keynote fields which would essentially allow you to add whatever info you wanted to the Material + have it display in a tag... Lots of new possibilities for labelling walls/slabs/roofs...

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello all,

I have just noticed that this might get the desired results. Not really sure if it was there before or if it is something new.

#WS_MATPROPERTYBYNAME(COMPONENTMATERIAL(2); 'materialmark')#

This returns the mark of the material of the second component of the tagged object.

Let me know if this is working as expected and getting the job done.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, Samuel Derenboim said:

Спасибо! @Nikolay Zhelyazkov

- I am happy to have helped! If we go for Bulgarian it is "Благодаря" 🙂

20 minutes ago, Samuel Derenboim said:

Also, will we ever see text resize toggles for tags? 😁

- Have you tried setting the text wrap of the objects in the tag layout? I think that this might be what you are looking for. If this is not the case, can you give me some more details on what exactly do you mean?

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

- I am happy to have helped! If we go for Bulgarian it is "Благодаря" 🙂

- Have you tried setting the text wrap of the objects in the tag layout? I think that this might be what you are looking for. If this is not the case, can you give me some more details on what exactly do you mean?

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov

In that case, Благодаря !  🙂

Also regarding your question - see screenshot below. This is a comparison between a tag vs a annotation callout . A callout has toggles, but no database reference.

It would be nice to resize text like a callout in a limited size viewport in case it is needed.

(also, I have a hunch that a future feature - legends will work very similarly to a tag, only summarizing in bulk all of the elements referenced...might eliminate this need entirely if the text in the legends can be resized similarly...

I also have a hunch that you are also directly related to that feature!....but alas, it is only a hunch! 😁 )

image.png.a1cd0f044e14302d26e3dbb425677d1b.png

Edited by Samuel Derenboim
  • Like 4
2 minutes ago, Samuel Derenboim said:

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Also regarding your question - see screenshot below. This is a comparison between a tag vs a annotation callout . A callout has toggles, but no database reference.

It would be nice to resize text like a callout in a limited size viewport in case it is needed.

(also, I have a hunch that a future feature - legends will work very similarly to a tag, only summarizing in bulk all of the elements referenced...might eliminate this need entirely if the text in the legends can be resized similarly...

I also have a hunch that you are also directly related to that feature!....but alas, it is only a hunch! 😁 )

Aha I see what you mean now + I agree! I have had to make duplicate Data Tags where the constraints are such that the text wraps where I don't want it to be so wide. To be able to do this interactively on the screen like with callouts would be MUCH better.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Samuel Derenboim said:

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Thanks you for the additional information. I will add this to our wishlist database, so that it can be considered.

• Like 3
20 hours ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Hello all,

I have just noticed that this might get the desired results. Not really sure if it was there before or if it is something new.

#WS_MATPROPERTYBYNAME(COMPONENTMATERIAL(2); 'materialmark')#

This returns the mark of the material of the second component of the tagged object.

Let me know if this is working as expected and getting the job done.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov thanks again for discovering this - it helps a lot!

e.g.:

948885500_Screenshot2022-08-25at08_39_50.thumb.png.777e9fbfe678130e856f5bb3e33ee195.png

Here I am using the 'materialproductname', 'materialproductdescription' + 'materialmanufacturer' fields.

However as I pointed out in another thread on the matter, the only spanner in the works is when you're using Compound Materials, as these Materials only have the 'name', 'description', 'mark' + 'keynote' fields so there is no way to return the fields in the 'Construction' + 'Physical' tabs that Simple Materials have. So in the example above I can't tag the top component because it is a compounded brick + mortar Material.

It would be really good if the Data Tag could 'see' the Simple Material that has been designated to be 'shown' within the Compound Material: I'm assuming this isn't possible right now but would it be feasible in future? Should I post a Wishlist item on it?

Thanks!

• Like 2

Also, I was wondering about the data you can attach to a Material via a Record Format in the 'Custom Fields' pane: is there any way to access this in a Data Tag...? And how do you report on this data in a worksheet? I haven't looked into it but I can obviously search for the record in question + report on that but is there a way to find the data via the Material itself + include it along with all the other Material data, i.e. in a database report?

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Also, I was wondering about the data you can attach to a Material via a Record Format in the 'Custom Fields' pane: is there any way to access this in a Data Tag...? And how do you report on this data in a worksheet? I haven't looked into it but I can obviously search for the record in question + report on that but is there a way to find the data via the Material itself + include it along with all the other Material data, i.e. in a database report?

Very good questions @Tom W. I was wondering about these too. To get these data to worksheet and data tag as well.

Also so far it seem custom data attached to material are not working with data visualisation...or am I wrong?

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

- Yes, better create a separate wishlist for this. Thanks! 🙂

Ok will do.

And on the separate matter regarding the data contained in the 'Custom Fields' pane: should I be asking that new MaterialProperty functions are created to allow access to this data via the Material?

Many thanks

Just now, Tom W. said:

Ok will do.

And on the separate matter regarding the data contained in the 'Custom Fields' pane: should I be asking that new MaterialProperty functions are created to allow access to this data via the Material?

Many thanks

- I think that simply requesting for access to the Custom Fields in worksheets should be enough.

• Like 2

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov Pardon the delay, Wanted to ask how to get the name of the material via #WS_MATPROPERTYBYNAME(COMPONENTMATERIAL(2), 'materialmark')#

I've tried #WS_MATPROPERTYBYNAME(COMPONENTMATERIAL(2), 'material')#

#WS_MATPROPERTYBYNAME(COMPONENTMATERIAL(2), 'materialname')#

#WS_MATPROPERTYBYNAME(COMPONENTMATERIAL(2), 'name')#

etc... cant seem to get it. 

Could you please assist?

4 minutes ago, Samuel Derenboim said:

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov Pardon the delay, Wanted to ask how to get the name of the material via #WS_MATPROPERTYBYNAME(COMPONENTMATERIAL(2), 'materialmark')#

I've tried #WS_MATPROPERTYBYNAME(COMPONENTMATERIAL(2), 'material')#

#WS_MATPROPERTYBYNAME(COMPONENTMATERIAL(2), 'materialname')#

#WS_MATPROPERTYBYNAME(COMPONENTMATERIAL(2), 'name')#

etc... cant seem to get it. 

Could you please assist?

Try #WS_COMPONENTMATERIAL(2)#

• Like 1