Georeferenced file collaboration - Export workflow

Hi

When preparing a vwx file with georeferencing for export to a DWG - which typical (proprietary) Vectorworks features should you remove to get a correct DWG?
First that comes to mind is: User Origin > Set User Origin to match the Georeferencing coordinate system

But what about 'Angle to True North' - can this be properly exported and interpreted by other software or does this need to be reset to 0?

Any thing else that could cause problems for a proper collaboration?

Any file workflow recommendations for that? for example: in your vwx file you work with an angle to True north, the viewports are made etc. Then you need to share your design with someone who works with different software. Knowing this person will send you his file back with additional information you need to integrate in your vwx file. Is it recommended to make a copy that you strip from these Vectorworks features or is there another work around?

Thanks!

Carol

On 10/29/2021 at 8:31 AM, Carol Reznor said:

When preparing a vwx file with georeferencing for export to a DWG - which typical (proprietary) Vectorworks features should you remove to get a correct DWG?

If set up properly, probably none.

I would have to test again with VW2022, but VW tends to import DWG files based on its WCS (equal to VW's internal origin). I've run into issues when DWG users had used a (rotated) UCS that was not aligned with the WCS. So if you have to collaborate with someone from the DWG side then make sure the coordinates etc. are set up the same way.

In general I align all georeferenced data to the internal origing of VW and use rotated plans/views where necessary and unrotate before export.

The DWG side should preferably to the same, i.e. change any active UCS back to WCS when sending the file to you.

This way the changes of things ending up at the wrong location should be minimized. At least I never had issues roundtripping with DWG this way.

There are other issues with DWG roundtripping but those are not related to georeferencing and need to be fixed by VW improving some things with the dwg import/export.

Also make sure you are using the same units, some DWG users have a habit of drawing at scale instead of 1:1, e.g. their units are set to mm but they treat it as metres and therefore draw it at a 1:1000 scale. VW may think upon import that the drawings units are in mm and you end up having to fix it on your end.

If you have a need to strip elements etc. from the drawing, change coordinate origins etc. always work on a copy. There is no need to compromise your drawings because you have to export to DWG.

Hi

First that comes to mind is: User Origin > Set User Origin to match the Georeferencing coordinate system

But what about 'Angle to True North' - can this be properly exported and interpreted by other software or does this need to be reset to 0?

Any file workflow recommendations for that? for example: in your vwx file you work with an angle to True north, the viewports are made etc. Then you need to share your design with someone who works with different software. Knowing this person will send you his file back with additional information you need to integrate in your vwx file. Is it recommended to make a copy that you strip from these Vectorworks features or is there another work around?

Thanks!

Carol

I haven't done much exporting from VW back into AutoCAD, other than 3d contours taken from site models and simple geometry, which is pretty straightforward. Other than 3d elements (furniture, etc) which you would not want to export to someone working in 2d, it should be straightforward.

Exports, from any discipline, should always be true north to avoid problems. You can export with an internal project origin, which works without problems, but even when working with an agreed origin point and rotation angle this opens the doors to problems with certain programs. I always use a test file export at the start of projects, with the building footprint from the architects and simple landscape geometry to check with other disciplines if they align properly with their drawings. I would suggest doing this to avoid complications, as its very easy to do, and can clarify any issues very early on.