Vehicle turning circles

Hi Petri. I usually just go to my "graphics standards" book (or a local design standard booklet). Once I know the dimension required (for example in our area cul-de-sacs must have a 50ft radius-based on the turning ability of a fire truck) it is easy to draw an arc or cirle to describe it. If you have VW Landmark there are road objects that can be used, with user diefined widths, slopes and radii.

Peter P (that's funny, a long time ago there were three Peter's in my first grade class. I was Peter C. and my best friend was Peter P.) I agree with you. I was not trying to suggest that all problems can be solved with one simple radius. That is one of my favorite things about doing what we do: we get to find, distill and synthesize data to create (hopefully) elegant solutions to complex problems. Kind regards from a long way away :-)

Peter P

You need to be very careful using static turning templates to try and work out whether a vehicle will get around compound curve paths. The vehicle behaviour is affected by the successive curves and this is exacerbated if there are trailers involved, or the vehicle is articulated.

You would be best to seek expert advice from a Civil Engineer about this. They will use one of the add ons for the dreaded AutoCAD which allow you to simulate a given vehicle driving along a user defined path. AutoTrack is one add on that I am aware of - it is very impressive.

Have you also checked what is available on your UK Department for Transport website.

I also just did a quick Google search for AutoTrack - if you go to www.savoy.co.uk you will be able to see an animation of how it works. It is also obviously set up for UK standards which will suit you admirably. I am sure there are other standards available for other parts of the world as well.

Sometimes as architects etc. we just have to accept that seeking expert advice from other areas of expertise is essential. Knowing when to do this is the important part.

[ 11-13-2004, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: mike m oz ]

A postscript to the above comments:

If you are dealing with compound curve paths be very very careful in your use of static path templates lest the sweep of the vehicle, rather than the tyre path, catch you out.

Make absolutely sure in the documentation phase, or if you are uncertain at all during the design phase. A little bit of consultancy fee may save you a lot of grief.

Once the context is there as an AutoCad drawing (ie. an export of your VW drawing) the actual vehicle path simulation takes very little time. You can then watch it and pick up any problems very quickly.