New graphics cards

Hi

I am in the market for a new graphics card and am interested to know what the performance increases are for a RTX 3070 vs 3080. The 3080 has a lot more CUDA cores, more RAM and a faster RAM bus so I am wondering how this translates into higher performance in Vision, and how much performance increase there is for the 3080 compared to the 3070. The price difference is substantial so I want to make sure I make the right decision. 

If anyone could shed some light I would really appreciate it. 

Cheers

Edited by DBLD
Spelling mistake

In theory the 3080 should be a noticeably faster card IF Vision can and does use it to the full extent.

Vectorworks system requirements advises a RTX 2070 for a mid-level profile and a RTX 3080 for a high end profile and states that in general the more powerful the graphics card the better the performance could be.

Basically, based on the system requirements and without knowing what you are designing... if you have drawings loaded with Vision equipment then a 3080 would be advisible, if you have modest amounts of equipment (e.g. small to medium sized venues with modest amounts of equipment) then a 2070 might be sufficient for the near future (2-3 years). If you want to use the card for e.g. the next 5 years and expect your projects to get larger then it might be worth to invest in a 3080 anyway for futureproofing because Vectorworks will be offloading more and more to the GPU in the longer run. Having to buy two x070 cards in five years might be more expensive than buying the most recent x080 card over a 5-year period.

Thanks for the advice Art V. I ended up getting a 3080 so although I can only compare it to my old 1070 Vision 2022 is a lot more stable than it was. Resolution, detail level and haze can of course be run at higher values but it certainly does get choppy in a moderate sized lighting rig on ultra settings at 1920 x 1080. This was expected.