Resize 3D model/object

Hi folks,

I've tried searching for this but I'm coming up empty. Maybe I'm just being dumb but I'm pulling my hair out at this point. Disclaimer: I come from SketchUp. I'm used to modeling in 3D, not drawing stuff and entering numbers and then praying I did it right xD

Anyway, I have a 3D object I can't resize for the life of me. I grabbed some legs from the 3D Warehouse, imported them into VW and made a little riser thingy as seen in the picture. The legs and top are grouped together. I moved the door on the right and now I want to resize the riser to the new width. In SU I simply select the thing, hit S for scale and drag the handles of my choice. I can't find anything remotely like that in VW. As you can see in the OIP, it's empty. I've tried the Fixed Point Resize Tool but it does nothing (or maybe I'm using it wrong? I followed the video from the help but that was for 2D). At this point it would have been faster to just make a new one from scratch, but I can't believe I can't just quickly resize the thing (especially when I'm doing a mock-up and precision isn't all that needed).

Thanks folks!

Resize.PNG

Thanks! I looked at 'Scale Objects', but I don't see how I can do it quickly. There's only scale factors, which I'd need to calculate. The 'symmetric by distance' where I can measure it rescaled my entire project, not just the object. I really feel like I'm missing something obvious here 😅

1 minute ago, Tom W. said:

Have you tried Ungrouping the object? I might be wrong but you should be able to Push/Push the extruded rectangle to the correct size then just reposition the two legs 

That's what I did in the end!

I was hoping to find a similar tool to what SU does in the picture.

Thanks folks!

Resize SU.PNG

Basically you can't do that in VW. That will seem crazy to you if you've come from SU but that's how it is.

I used to use VW for 2d and sketchup for 3d, until VW 3d became tolerable enough for me to draw in 3d (in fact it was largely the introduction of the push-pull tool, copied from SU that made a difference). I tolerate VW's shortcomings because of the time it saves me, not having two parallel drawings, and because of the other stuff that VW can do and SU can't.

If you only want to do quick 3d modelling, and don't really need the kind of drawing organisation or capabilities to generate production drawings, you are probably better off staying with SU which has a much more fluent 3d interface if you're doing mock-up type stuff. VW's could be improved massively but unfortunately it doesn't look like this is going to happen any time soon.

(Un)fortunately uni wants me to use VW, so I'm trying to get the hang of it. I did the SU to VW course and got my VW certificate, but neither were all that helpful I feel. I do hope that VW will save me loads of time for the eventual presentation, as opposed to SU where I have to transfer to LayOut and then still do a whole bunch of stuff. Not giving up yet!

4 hours ago, ViolaB said:

I did the SU to VW course and got my VW certificate, but neither were all that helpful I feel.

Not to sound harsh, but perhaps you should retake the trainings.  There is also a 3D Modeling course on the Vectorworks University that was filmed at a Design Summit which is very good.

on the otherhand…

You said your Uni is forcing Vectorworks upon you.  Perhaps the real lesson they want you to learn is how to import Sketchup into Vectorworks, or get so frustrated with computers that you revert to hand drawing 🙂  Schools that require the use of specific software aren’t teaching design, they are training technicians.  Once you know your professor’s motivations, the path forward will become clear.

Edited by jeff prince
  • Like 2
On 10/23/2021 at 5:20 PM, jeff prince said:

Not to sound harsh, but perhaps you should retake the trainings.  There is also a 3D Modeling course on the Vectorworks University that was filmed at a Design Summit which is very good.

on the otherhand…

You said your Uni is forcing Vectorworks upon you.  Perhaps the real lesson they want you to learn is how to import Sketchup into Vectorworks, or get so frustrated with computers that you revert to hand drawing 🙂  Schools that require the use of specific software aren’t teaching design, they are training technicians.  Once you know your professor’s motivations, the path forward will become clear.

Not harsh at all, no worries! Secretely I prefer hand drawing anyway =P Thanks!

• Like 1