Send to Surface taking way too long

Matter.Memory

Question

Does anybody know what may be slowing down the send to surface command? I am modeling a solar array for a visualization study, and I need the solar panels to fit on the terrain of the site model. I have been duplicating a section of solar panel (a small 3D symbol) into a row, then sending each row to the surface. Each row has been taking around 2-3 minutes, and these have been some of the shorter rows in the solar array. With the amount of panels I have to do this will take 85 hours... just to get the panels in the right place. Is there a more efficient way to accomplish my goal? I am working in Landmark '22 on a MacBook Pro 11.6, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB graphics card, 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 processor. 

8 answers to this question

This is a guess, but 
Something to try in a duplicate file:

A. Create a really simple symbol, eg an extruded rectangle. A 3d locus might even work. 

B.  Once you have your solar panel symbols arranged in top view, select a bunch of them, Replace (OIP option), choose the really simple 3d symbol, Send to Surface. Leave them selected. 
C.  Replace (OIP) with the solar panel symbol. 

idea is that the Send to Surface Command has to analyze lots of geometry to place correct point at surface. A simpler object might go faster? The Replace function might have less to “consider”. 

or this could be a case of too much overhead with complex terrain and symbol. Fix might require lower vertex count overall.  Terrain-Simplify contour Polys. Solar panels - make a low detail version for most of them. Place high detail version only where close views will display. 

-B 

Edited by Benson Shaw
More stupid ideas that won’t work
  • Like 1

As a variation to the above you could place 3D Loci on the site model surface (place them individually or array them then send to surface) then use Modify>Convert>Replace With Symbol... to convert them to the solar panel symbols. I just did 400 this way + took a couple of minutes but not sure how big your array is

• Like 1

Thank you all for your input. Send to Surface seems to be slow no matter. I am hoping to find a way to extrude the solar panels along a path, so the panel face is solid as opposed to individual sections. No matter my approach, I am taking ages to accomplish a single row of panels. Attached are pictures of the site model, with the pink lines indicating the solar panel rows. Is there an efficient way to get a path that follows a section of site model so I may extrude along it, allowing the panel to follow the topography of the site? 

Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 11.01.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 11.03.17 AM.png