Bring Back Unified View

2oaks

Question

19 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, 2oaks said:

VW 2022 has no realistic way to work in multiple scales without the use of design layer viewports which is both tedious and not very useful.

I'm curious if you work in 2d or 3d? I remember my old 2d workflow with multiple design layers in different scales for each sheet. I can't imagine working in 3d without sheet layer viewports.....

Kevin

7 hours ago, Kaare Baekgaard said:

And please, kindly put the unified view menu items back in that menu.

I change it several times every day - except now it has become really tiresome.

You still can once the 'legacy' feature is reenabled.

from the help

When legacy 2D features are enabled, add the Unified View option  to the View bar from the View menu, to quickly toggle unified view on and off.

Unifed View in the View Bar.PNG

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Kaare Baekgaard said:

It is the screen plane only setting, that remains indispensable.

I guess programmers would not know this because they are so focused on the building/architecture aspects of VW.

I agree that screen plane is still important for many tasks. Its biggest benefit over working plane or layer plane is that the snaps are reliable and there are no weird non-functional guides that appear in some 3d views (those weird radial red lines for some rotations are an example). For layout work, screen plane objects can't be beat, yet....

(I work entirely in 3d in the design layers and all my 2d work is in the annotations space of sheet layer viewports.)

Kevin

• Like 2

Thanks All however, none of those solutions solve the problem. I work in BIM so, 3D and 2D. I often have to do site plans and landscape calcs. at 20' or 30' scale. I also have to do planting plans, irrigation plans, and hardscape layouts at 10' scale or less. Up until VW 22 the standard best management practice was to set your design layer scale to the same scale you you wanted to print your sheet layers at, thus preserving line weights and font size. I could easily set the civil or architectural base at 30' scale on one layer and put my planting plan on another layer at 10' scale, turn on unified view and presto magic.

However, now unified view no longer has a setting to ignore different scales because it has been made a legacy item. It does still allow me to view my 30' scale plan from my 10' plant layer, but because I can't give it the option to ignore the scale difference my plants symbols are huge and civil plan is small, and when I switch back over to my 30' scale plan my plant symbols are super tiny.

See the attached screen shot of the Unified View Options from VW 21 and VW 22. Note the Ignore Layers with different scales option in VW 21. I imagine I am not alone in needing that back. The only other solution that I can see now is to either set up tedious design layer viewports at different scales, create a series of annotated texts styles for different scales, or manually adjust every sheet layer viewport setting to accommodate line weights and fonts. So, all the reasons I left CAD and switched to VW in the first place.

Unified View VW 21.JPG

Unified View VW 22.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks I appreciate the feed back, however, I think the best solution is to return to VW 2021 and not update further until they find a functional way to work in multiple scales again. The images below show the drastic difference in working in multiple scales in VW 2021 (and all other versions) compared to VW 2022. All images were captured while working in the 20' scale design layer work space. In previous version all symbols would scale so that 10' is 10' regardless of design layer scale you are working in, in other words a unified view of your BIM model. VW 2022 doesn't have an option to do that making setting up sheet layers incredible tedious if you work in multiple scales. The best option now would be to work with all layers at a 1:1 scale and create text styles to use for the different print scales needed and manually adjust sheet layer viewports as needed, which would seem to miss the whole point of having design layer scales in the first place.

Unified VW 21.JPG

Plant Symbols Unified View 22.JPG

• Like 1
2 hours ago, 2oaks said:

Unified VW 21.JPG

After some playing with it I think I understand what you are losing (the Ignore Layers with Different Scale checkbox seems to be the key). There is no other way I know of to actively work across Design Layers of different scales that I know of. I'd never really thought to work that way but it really does make sense if you're creating the same base plan at multiple scales.

It does feel like the next step would be to phase out the ability to have design layers at different scales....

Kevin

PS. I've added my test file in VW2021 format in case anyone wants to toggle unified view on/off in it and see what this is all about.

2109942071_ScreenShot2021-10-24at12_55_14PM.png.7de9c005c3ffd82769492ec8da07ae89.png

Unified View Test v2021.vwx

Edited by Kevin McAllister
Added my file
  • Like 3

It's not just an issue for you; I just discovered that even with the same scale, working over a 2D site plan layer in 3D layer doesn't unify unless you go into Legacy Tools, Enable, go to options, turn on Display Screen Objects, then Turn OFF Legacy Tools and it works as intended.

• Like 1