VW2022 video shows two types of 3D plant representations for the same plant object - is this now implemented?

... or is it just nice fancy editing.

This...

1545677203_3Dplantshapes.thumb.jpg.d8ad7c73f23fc7d11261eb8a8c0d7520.jpg

...fades into this.

175932780_3Dplantshapes2.thumb.jpg.b266f089229d9c85581a0d75ec16c417.jpg

It would be nice to have the 'Shell' model plants for working with (much cleaner and easier to figure out placement) but then render with the image props if needed.

Or is the second image fade a twin motion thing?

It would also be nice to have those fancy shell models for the existing tree tool!

• Like 1

I used it recently to include two versions of the same image prop within the 3D Component of a Plant: one used a texture with the glow set to 70% in one class + the other with the texture set to 30% in another class. By switching class I can use the 70% version for daytime renders + the 30% version for nighttime renders. But you could use the 'Generate 3D Plant Geometry' option in the Visualization pane to create a stylised graphical representation of your plant + include this alongside your image prop which sounds like what you're describing above. I've seen the 'Generate 3D Plant Geometry' option but not really used it so not sure whether it will generate the exact forms shown in the video or not

Jeff has some great examples of how he uses it but from memory I think it's more on the 2D side but same principle. Very simple but very powerful! Plants already have a range of different 2D geometry separated by class to allow you to control exactly what you see in Top/Plan so makes sense to extend to the 3D representation as well.

Tis the season for dishonest marketing and new release confusion.  Been waiting for years for those fancy floating 3d menus….Slick marketing and editing, as usual 😉 

I put my own custom 3d plant models, multiple 2D image props, and all kinds 2d graphical data in my plant objects. The generated 3d models in both the existing tree tool and the plant object can be pretty useful and gives you an additional method of depiction.  With a good classing methodology, you can do a lot with Plant Objects.  Data visualizations can do some nice graphic voodoo too, if your organizational methods allow for setting valid criteria.  However, you’ll need a nice video editor to make it look like that commercial 😉

• Like 3

I've been looking to make similar geometric shapes for bushes/shrubs, but not sure if there are existing symbols to copy from. Can do this with trees to a degree, but I have not figured out how to do this in 2021 to have a faceted sphere like that. Would be nice!

I guess to do this you create your 3d shape (e.g. sphere) and convert it into a 3d poly and bring that into the 3d symbol definition for the plants you're working with. 

Not sure if there's a pre-existing style like this already.

Edited by Poot
  • Like 1

I think this is the best you can getting using the ‘Generate 3D Plant Geometry’ settings:

1985624299_Screenshot2021-10-22at16_03_11.thumb.png.20e6272c043975a3c0de6efe0d82844f.png

But if you set 3D Conversion Resolution to Low then create a Sphere then convert it to a Mesh you get this:

1420295202_Screenshot2021-10-22at16_05_38.png.17ed1b1e56211c6989c93b0ecf1b064b.png

Which like you say you could then bring in as the 3D component.

You can then set the 3D Conversion Resolution back to whatever setting you normally have it on.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

I think this is the best you can getting using the ‘Generate 3D Plant Geometry’ settings:

1985624299_Screenshot2021-10-22at16_03_11.thumb.png.20e6272c043975a3c0de6efe0d82844f.png

But if you set 3D Conversion Resolution to Low then create a Sphere then convert it to a Mesh you get this:

1420295202_Screenshot2021-10-22at16_05_38.png.17ed1b1e56211c6989c93b0ecf1b064b.png

Which like you say you could then bring in as the 3D component.

You can then set the 3D Conversion Resolution back to whatever setting you normally have it on.

Yes, I've used this second method, but it would be nice to have some control over the number of faces/simplification level. I've been unable to do so yet, either from converting a sphere into a mesh and trying to simplify that, or from converting it into a 3d poly.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 10/28/2021 at 5:23 AM, designit said:

was it figures out if this was just a slick marketing feature, twinmotion render, or actually something which can be set as part of the symbol and then pushed into twinmotion/lumion or another rendering option?

You can do what they show, but it requires creating your own custom 3d plant symbols from 3d geometry. It is not too hard, but would take some time to set up to have several sizes/colours as shown in the video.

I've converted my plant library.

I put the massing models and image props on separate classes:

• plant images on 'Plants-3D-images' class
  • massing shapes on 'Plants-3D-massing' class

Screen Grab comparison:

3D-plants.thumb.jpg.70b9bb2399ea72f9e8d233da76994d74.jpg

The 'auto sizing' is pretty spotty - sometime the masses auto size depending on the size and spread data, sometimes they don't.

I haven't figured out why for either case

Even more odd - I played around with trunks and branches for some shrubs/trees.

the trunks and canopy auto size - but the branches don't - I've no idea why.

Anyway, I find the masses really help me visually with planting plans.

I haven't tried rendering with the massing shapes - but I do most of my presentation material with a lot of Photoshop/hand drawing overtop of the base renders.

• Like 1