Wall End Cap Screws Up Window Openings in Wall

E|FA

Question

15 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 10/20/2021 at 12:31 AM, E|FA said:

I think the video says it all.  Anyone at VW want to tackle this one?  File available upon request.

VW Architect 2022 SP1 - system info in my signature is up to date.

Thanks again for reporting this.

This issue is being worked on.  In the meantime, there is a way to work around it.  The problem only happens when two components are merged in 3D.  In this case, you can get around the issue by joining the component to the opposite face of wall (highlighting the wall line rather than the component) or to component just before (the core in this case).

Like this:

• Like 1

@Matt Panzer

Hi Matt,

greetings and hope you are fine.

Is there any progress on this behavior so far?

I have a lot of problems with bug!

Your proposed workaround does not work, if you connect two components.

Openings from Doors and Windows will be closed but only with the combined component,

the bug only occurs (in my test) from the start point of the wall and only occurs

in the first two openings (see attached screenshot and test file = VW 23 SP1.0.2 German Version).

Door 1 and 2 is affected.

If you delete door 2 then door 3 (= new door 2 after deletion from start) will be affected.

BUG:

- start from wall

- only first two openings

Hope we see this bug fixed in VW 2023 and don't have to wait until VW 24.

Greetings from Germany

Tobi

22-11-18 VW23 BUG components.vwx

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Tobias Kern said:

@Matt Panzer

Hi Matt,

greetings and hope you are fine.

Is there any progress on this behavior so far?

I have a lot of problems with bug!

Your proposed workaround does not work, if you connect two components.

Openings from Doors and Windows will be closed but only with the combined component,

the bug only occurs (in my test) from the start point of the wall and only occurs

in the first two openings (see attached screenshot and test file = VW 23 SP1.0.2 German Version).

Door 1 and 2 is affected.

If you delete door 2 then door 3 (= new door 2 after deletion from start) will be affected.

BUG:

- start from wall

- only first two openings

Hope we see this bug fixed in VW 2023 and don't have to wait until VW 24.

Greetings from Germany

Tobi

22-11-18 VW23 BUG components.vwx 8.66 MB · 1 download

Hi Tobi,

Can you attach a screenshot of the issue you're seeing?

In VW 2023 SP1, I no longer see issues with missing components.  I do see some issues with pen attributes on the end cap but that's all I noticed in your file.

Hi Matt,

greetings.

Here you go!

In the screenshot, you see the component overwrite the opening of the first 2 openings of the wall,

beginning at wall start. This behavior changes, as you flip wall-start-point (2nd wall in the background).

Please notice that I used wall end caps with two component on both wall endings!

Greetings from Germany and have a nice weekend.

Tobi

Bildschirm­foto 2022-11-18 um 21.09.46.png

Edited by Tobias Kern
20 hours ago, Tobias Kern said:

Hi Matt,

greetings.

Here you go!

In the screenshot, you see the component overwrite the opening of the first 2 openings of the wall,

beginning at wall start. This behavior changes, as you flip wall-start-point (2nd wall in the background).

Please notice that I used wall end caps with two component on both wall endings!

Greetings from Germany and have a nice weekend.

Tobi

Bildschirm­foto 2022-11-18 um 21.09.46.png

Ah.  Thanks for the clarification.  I was only looking at these in Top/Plan. 🙂 

This looks to be fixed for 2023 SP2.

• Like 1

I have also been having a seemingly related Wall + End Cap + Opening issue in Vw2023 — where if I have a Wall Recess in a Wall and I add a Wall End Cap to the Wall, the Wall Recess will shift out of its correct position by over 1 foot. Then I have to go back and set the correct position of the Wall Recess.

Edited by rDesign
7 minutes ago, rDesign said:

I have also been having a seemingly related Wall + End Cap + Opening issue in Vw2023 — where if I have a Wall Recess in a Wall and I add a Wall End Cap to the Wall, the Wall Recess will shift out of its correct position by over 1 foot. Then I have to go back and set the correct position of the Wall Recess.

Can you attach a file that shows this behavior?

2 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

Can you attach a file that shows this behavior?

I will when I can reproduce it -- right now I'm getting a hard crash from Vw2023 whenever I try to open that same file. Three hard crashes in a row -- in a file that worked fine yesterday. Off to Repair Vw and reset my User preferences. Hopefully that fixes it.

EDIT: Nope, after repairing VW and resetting my User Preferences that file still gives me a hard crash upon opening. @Matt Panzer how do I go about recovering a 413MB file that refuses to open? I really do not want to have to rebuild this file as I've been working on it for months, and Levels cannot be transferred between files. (Thankfully, I had a recent backup which *fingers crossed* still works.)

Edited by rDesign
still crashing...
20 hours ago, rDesign said:

I will when I can reproduce it -- right now I'm getting a hard crash from Vw2023 whenever I try to open that same file. Three hard crashes in a row -- in a file that worked fine yesterday. Off to Repair Vw and reset my User preferences. Hopefully that fixes it.

EDIT: Nope, after repairing VW and resetting my User Preferences that file still gives me a hard crash upon opening. @Matt Panzer how do I go about recovering a 413MB file that refuses to open? I really do not want to have to rebuild this file as I've been working on it for months, and Levels cannot be transferred between files. (Thankfully, I had a recent backup which *fingers crossed* still works.)

Can you PM me the file that crashes so I can have a look?

• Like 1
22 hours ago, rDesign said:
On 11/20/2022 at 9:14 AM, Matt Panzer said:

Can you PM me the file that crashes so I can have a look?

Absolutely. Thank you!

Hey Tim,

Thanks for the file and detailed description!  Here are my findings:

I reproduced the crash on open in VW 2023 SP1 but I do not see it happening in a test build of SP2.

However, I did manage to get a crash in SP2 by copying and pasting the suspect walls along with the exterior wall it's joined to into another document.

Bug reported: VB-191898

1 hour ago, Matt Panzer said:

Hey Tim,

Thanks for the file and detailed description!  Here are my findings:

I reproduced the crash on open in VW 2023 SP1 but I do not see it happening in a test build of SP2.

However, I did manage to get a crash in SP2 by copying and pasting the suspect walls along with the exterior wall it's joined to into another document.

Bug reported: VB-191898

Matt - I’m glad you were able to reproduce the crash. Hopefully that will help lead to a fix in SP3. Thank you!

Im curious if you still get the crashes in SP2 if you delete the Wall End Cap before copy & pasting into the new document. 

[I apologize for my apparent hijacking of this thread, but hopefully my crashes can help lead to a fix for the original topic].

Edited by rDesign
1 hour ago, rDesign said:

Matt - I’m glad you were able to reproduce the crash. Hopefully that will help lead to a fix in SP3. Thank you!

More than likely it will lead to a fix. 🙂 

Im curious if you still get the crashes in SP2 if you delete the Wall End Cap before copy & pasting into the new document. 

Now why didn't I think of that!

That Wall End Cap was the culprit.  You were right all along!

Thank you for that suggestion.  I'll not this in the bug report.

[I apologize for my apparent hijacking of this thread, but hopefully my crashes can help lead to a fix for the original topic].

No worries at all.  This is all related the Wall End Caps anyway.

Thanks again!

• Like 1