Ies file Renderworks/Redshift BUMP

zeno

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

For IES you need to know that Redshift does not render "From User Input" brightness it only does "From Distribution".  Set your lights to "From Distribution".  You can attenuate the brightness inside a symbol with the brightness control in the Obj Info palette Shape pane, to make it go up or down.  HTH

• Like 2
8 hours ago, rjtiedeman said:

Are there any actual instructions as to how Redshift works in Vectorworks. I have been experimenting with old files that rendered correctly in Renderworks but the Redshift version is terrible. So I am missing info which would make this a successful experiment. 

from same situation. I suggest you to test new rendering styles, in few time you can find good results. 

On 10/19/2021 at 5:26 PM, Dave Donley said:

For IES you need to know that Redshift does not render "From User Input" brightness it only does "From Distribution".  Set your lights to "From Distribution".  You can attenuate the brightness inside a symbol with the brightness control in the Obj Info palette Shape pane, to make it go up or down.  HTH

This sounds very helpful. Where are thes controls in Vectorworks Fundamentals? With out abbreviations please. What are IES files? I have only ever used standard spot, point and area lights from the VW light menu.  I can’t find "From Distribution" in and menu. Sorry if this sound stupid but I am just looking for the key to the door.

Edited by rjtiedeman
51 minutes ago, rjtiedeman said:

This sounds very helpful. Where are thes controls in Vectorworks Fundamentals? With out abbreviations please. What are IES files? I have only ever used standard spot, point and area lights from the VW light menu.  I can’t find "From Distribution" in and menu. Sorry if this sound stupid but I am just looking for the key to the door.

In order to get the ‘Use Distribution File’ option on the Light source OIP, you first have to change your Light mode to ‘Custom Light’. Then you can load the correct IES light distribution file for your luminaire. Refer to THIS thread for some additional information on IES lighting files.

Also refer to the following page from the VW 2022 Help File: Light Source Properties

• Like 2
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 10/23/2021 at 5:44 PM, rjtiedeman said:

Are there any actual instructions as to how Redshift works in Vectorworks. I have been experimenting with old files that rendered correctly in Renderworks but the Redshift version is terrible. So I am missing info which would make this a successful experiment. 

Hello @rjtiedeman There are several Renderworks features that are non-functional with Redshift rendering.  Grass, displacement, area and line lights, caustics.  There is a known bug where glass can show as glowing, we have a bug logged with Maxon about that.  If you can post a VWX file I can take a look.

IES files are used with Custom light objects.  I have learned to say IES more often because the light distributions are always IES files in practice.  In the past when these light types were first added there were other options but the industry settled on IES files for this.

3 hours ago, Dave Donley said:

Hello @rjtiedeman There are several Renderworks features that are non-functional with Redshift rendering.  Grass, displacement, area and line lights, caustics.  There is a known bug where glass can show as glowing, we have a bug logged with Maxon about that.  If you can post a VWX file I can take a look.

IES files are used with Custom light objects.  I have learned to say IES more often because the light distributions are always IES files in practice.  In the past when these light types were first added there were other options but the industry settled on IES files for this.

Thank you  Mr Donley, So far I have found that I can’t just open old files make changes and render with Redshift. Renderworks works works fine so if I am ever to use Redshift I will have to figure out what to change so that I can move forward. I have been able to convert one file but I wasn’t very careful and didn’t make notes as to what I did to make it work. So I know it’s possible. However the comparison of the before and after are very close.  I am not sure it’s an big deal for rendering displays. I ,have diverted my attention to relearning mapping which is challenging.

• 1 year later...

I have to say that I find it a mood, when I can render caustics in several render modes except Redshift, not that Redshift can't do caustics, that feature just seems to be locked away from us, which stirs the same internal reaction like the BMW seat warmer nonsense. Closest I have come to get to where I want is to render the redshift, then render only the caustics lighting in an appropriate render mode (for me, preview spotlight gets me there), then composite them in PS. It's a bit fiddly, getting the right lighting intensities…

Oy1578240483_Screenshot2022-11-28at1_18_19PM.thumb.png.25deea522b8834578c30b8102a8332aa.png1397251011_Screenshot2022-11-28at1_18_11PM.thumb.png.e865b1f8a5ca334e1e6960a0d342134d.png749449007_Screenshot2022-11-28at1_18_26PM.thumb.png.eb835b74d17f9c6da343d2eb3e4fd6dd.png