faceted circles

Trend Setting Design

Question

15 answers to this question

Try Custom Renderworks instead of Fast Renderworks and make sure the Curved Geometry setting is not set to Low. Or try the Realistic Exterior Fast or Realistic Interior Fast Renderworks Styles.

Both Fast and Final Quality Renderworks should probably be removed from the workspace and Render Styles for Fast/Medium/Quality set up instead. Fast/FQ are there because that is what people got used to using many versions ago, but the settings on them are often not the best to get the quality and speed that are available in VW/RW. I believe Fast RW effectively has a Curved Geometry setting of Low and is giving the facets.

4 minutes ago, Trend Setting Design said:

yes they are circles...extruded and then subtracted solids

I've changed the dpi settings to 300, selected Detail Level "HIGH" in the viewport...

I've tried to shaded; fast render works; and quality render works...no luck

Any suggestions

Do they look this way in your 3d model or is it only in the sheet layer viewports? If its just on the sheet layers, its most likely the Detail dropdown in the Background Render Settings dialog of your sheet layer viewport. Here's a screen shot....

Kevin

312415765_ScreenShot2021-10-19at8_52_32PM.thumb.png.aaed475b5f2c274df18e5a596f8b873b.png

14 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Try Custom Renderworks instead of Fast Renderworks and make sure the Curved Geometry setting is not set to Low. Or try the Realistic Exterior Fast or Realistic Interior Fast Renderworks Styles.

Both Fast and Final Quality Renderworks should probably be removed from the workspace and Render Styles for Fast/Medium/Quality set up instead. Fast/FQ are there because that is what people got used to using many versions ago, but the settings on them are often not the best to get the quality and speed that are available in VW/RW. I believe Fast RW effectively has a Curved Geometry setting of Low and is giving the facets.

Where do I find those selection choices? they don't show up in the Viewport window.

14 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Do they look this way in your 3d model or is it only in the sheet layer viewports? If its just on the sheet layers, its most likely the Detail dropdown in the Background Render Settings dialog of your sheet layer viewport. Here's a screen shot....

Kevin

312415765_ScreenShot2021-10-19at8_52_32PM.thumb.png.aaed475b5f2c274df18e5a596f8b873b.png

the facets show up in the design layer and the viewport. I corrected the situation in the Background Render Setting as you suggested. Thanks for the input.

• Like 1

This is happening to me, too, but not on all curves. I'm not sure which. I have all the render settings to high or very high. The rendering is set to 150dpi and I'm using Interior Final rendering style. I'm on VW2023 and I think SP4, using Windows 10. I haven't figured out where the "About Vectorworks" tab is in the Windows version, so not sure about the version. It has ruined a 12 page published PDF deck. Note that in image Facets 02 that the white curve is faceted (an arc that was offset to create the curved solid) and the lower reddish curve is perfect (created by an arc and several lines with the Compose command.) I may be doing something wrong, but I can think of what else to check. Besides, if I were doing something wrong it would not affect some curves and not others. Thus, I think it is a bug in VW.

MHBrownFacets02.JPG.3fa9ae934a29b92bbd1e275e84e48417.JPGFacets01.JPG.0b0fdf447e91a70e28d71e897bc8b37d.JPG

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @MGuilfoile Service pack 5 has a fix for an issue where curved geometry in viewports rendered with lower detail than what you chose in the options.  This might be the bug you are seeing here.

"Resolves an issue that caused curved geometries to appear facetted when rendered in sheet layer viewports"

Hi Dave. Thank you for letting me know. I certainly hope this fixes the problem, but it's a bit troubling that such a glaring programming error would be released in the first place. I'm doing a design with lots of curves and workarounds are eating up huge amounts of time, to the point where I'm thinking of rebuilding the model in 3D Studio Max or even FormZ. If the SP5 update fixes it, I won't have to.

Thanks again,

MHBrown

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@MGuilfoile This was an unwanted side effect of improving performance in viewports.  New view-dependent detail function reduces detail automatically to speed up renderings and use less memory, which is a good goal.  There was an unintended error where it was too aggressive in viewports.  Service pack 5 fixes it and also delivers these savings in performance and memory.

• Like 2