Difficulty Comprehending Scale

Greetings,

I can't seem to conceptualize how to scale 2d objects different than the scale of my drawing/layer.

I've created a template. Arch C size drawing with scale set at 1:1 for all layers.

Created two classes: propertyline and existing building. Created one layer: Basesheet. When I created the layer I set the scale at 1:1.

I've drawn a hypothetical property line with a small building within the boundaries of my drawing. I didn't try to scale this - just eyeballed it on the overall drawing. When I dimension the building it measures something like 2" by 7" rather than something more reasonable like 20' by 36'. This is reflecting my drawing size of 18" by 24". But I want the building to be a different scale. If I change my layer scale to 1/8" then nothing fits on the drawing size I've chosen.

What am I doing wrong here?

Marshall, Sheet layers are by definition in 1:1 scale. So when you draw directly in a sheet layer you will get real world dimensions (ie your "C" size sheet will maeasure correctly, but not the VIEWPORT (VP) which has been placed onto the sheet, because it is scaled). By double clicking a VP you will be able to enter the ANNOTATIONS of that VP. The annotations will always live with the VP and will be properly scaled. Hope that helps :-)

Marshall - you don't draw in a 1:1 environment like you do in AutoCAD.

You set the scale of your Design Layers to the scale you want to draw at (similar to drawing manually). For example if you set the scale to 1/8" (Page / Layer Scale..) this will allow you to draw using real units and see the result at 1/96th of its actual size.

Sheet Layers are always at 1:1 however and you control the size of what you see through the Viewport Scale function.