Windows vs. OS X application

Greetings all:

I'd appreciate any input from users who've worked with this program on windows. I'm debating whether I should completely abandon my PC universe and switch to the infinitly superior mac system prior to beginning with VectorWorks. (I'm always looking for an excuse!) Learning curve issues? (Learning a new OS as well as a new CAD program), or alternately, relearning on a new platform should I ultimately decide to change later. General input would be helpful.

Thanks!

Apart from my own work on my system, I currently use, at various contract jobs:

VW 10.1 on XP; Dell 2.8GHz P4,

VW,RW 10.5 on OS10.3.2; EMac 1.25GHz,

VW,RW,Spotlight 11.0.1 on Win2K; IBM Thinkpad 1.5Ghz P3.

Here is my experience. Others will have other opinions and experiences. ;-)

OS10 is easy to learn, things are not hard to find. I haven't been able to crash it since OS10.1 (I've tried) The OS makes more "sense" than windows.

Macs being "expensive" compared to PCs is no longer true if you compare equivalent specs. Actually outlay$ cheaper in many cases plus productivity savings on reliability, security etc.

Mac G4 systems ARE slower than equivalent PCs.

Mac G5 systems are faster it seems, according to NNA's testing.

VW runs basically the same on both Mac and PC in my experience. Both have glitches.

Keyboard shortcuts are more awkward on PC because of the Ctrl key location. Palette docking (windows only)is both a bonus and a pain.

Effectively, it really comes down to which you prefer.

I know which I would rather use.

cheers,

N.

I use a G5 at work and old AMD 1.2 GHz at home, VW11 at work, and have 10.5 at home. Since I have a 256MB video card in Windows machine, graphics are much faster on AMD machine, but interfaces are identical for the most part...though the windows version has a nice feature where the OIP and resource palettes "windowshade" up and down by just moving the mouse over the titlebar...no clicking, whereas on the Mac version you have to click on these titlebars, not much but I like the feature. I can't think of any benefits of one over the other from a VW point of view....from an OS point of view, of course I like Mac, but the XP enviroment has gotten to be natural for me too. I will say that my total cash outlay for my Windows hardware was less than 1000.00 and it's pretty fast. Since I have a Mac at work though, I don't suffer from Mac envy when using my XP machine. If I didn't use so much engineering software, I'd be Mac only just for the stability of the OS.

[ 10-12-2004, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: tom kyler ]

This thread could so easily turn into one of those stupid slagging matches so often seen in forums. I hope we can continue the sensible and objective approach.

Your decision should also take into account if the platform you choose has any relevance to work you do,if any, with others, or any future career moves you wish to make if this could be an issue.

Whilst I've never had a cross platform problem with Vectorworks files the same cannot be said for all software.

With the differences in speed on Mac and PC on straight 2D Vectorworks files being little different then any choice in this regard is personal preference.

If you intend working beyond 2D in Vectorworks into 3D, using other 3D modeling programs and renderers, then you will find more and more people choose PC because of its speed, and the greater choice of graphics cards with faster speeds than the current Mac offerings.

I would disagree that at the mid range area of the market PC and Mac are equally priced. PC is much cheaper to buy, but that is only taking into account initial cost.

Without doubt problems occur in both operating systems, the advantages, ease of use etc. gap that Mac had over Windows years ago has reduced to virtually nothing in most aspects of day to day use.

It's good that you consider your choice now as changing licences, if possible (some don't allow this, Vectorworks does, at upgrade time) is an additional expense.

I considered changing over from Windows to Mac. I'd been using Mac at my last place of work for two years, but the cost of equipment with the extra cost of changing licenses would mean double my Windows "upgrade" cost. I stayed with Windows and don't regret it at all.

[ 10-12-2004, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: alanmac ]

I agree ... I use both OSs and VW seems about the same but I prefer Mac because the tool palettes are easier to minimize/maximize than in Win XP. I seem to have greater printing problems on the Win XP version but it might be related to printer software. I also agree on speed ... my mac is slower, but for 2D work it doesn't matter. For 3D work and renderings, speed is everything (and no machine is fast enough).

Mac OSX VW 10.5 G4 12" 880MHz laptop

Win XP VW 11.1 Pent IV 2.88GHz

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! My manners are horrid! I just logged on for the first time since posting my RFI - I was expecting an email alert if anyone replied, and thought no one had done so. Thank you all so much for your comments.

As of yesterday, I had decided to bite the bullet and tackle that G5 2 or 2.5 GHz machine, although I'm quaking at the sticker. Having read your various posts, however, I'm finding my commitment wavering. Speed does matter to me, and I do plan on working in 3D. Who really wants to spend 3K if it's not absolutely necc.? (Course, I'd get one of those really pretty screens, too. +1.5K+++)

I'll post my final decision when I've made it. Thank you all again.

If I could offer one piece of advice.

As you've used another CAD program before, possibly Autocad, I've seen several posts in other forums where the general conclusion is that you cause problems and steepen the learning curve if you try to work the way that program does but in Vectorworks. Whilst having CAD experience will help you knowing what each tool etc. is for, try to work the "Vectorworks way" is the advice given.

I'm told once mastered it's much easier and more intuitive than other offerings.

I was fortunate, tinkered with cad a little but researched what was best for my work and came up with Vectorworks. Not really clever, just lucky I guess.

good luck and enjoy

Alan

Hello again all - I purchased the windows version yesterday - with a 'promise' from Lee at nemetschek that if I want to change platforms, he'll do it without any additional licencing fee. (Thanks, alanmac, for the heads up on that topic.) I will no doubt be adding questions to the rest of this board as I attempt to dive into this thing and learn it. Wish me luck! And thank you all again.