Moving Object on Fixed Distance and Fixed Axis

Alex M

Question

Sorry, I tried to Google this but have no idea what to call this bubble thing. I want to be able to enter a distance and fix the axis the object moves on.

However, when I set the distance and hold Shift, I get this bubble, then I click where I want it to go, and it doesn't move.

hi2BaRS.jpg

Edited by Alex M

2 answers to this question

@Alex M Try again without holding shift. Top or Top/Plan.

• With object selected, start the move via drag in any direction.
  • Press Tab to activate the floating data bar (unless you have some other pref to activate).
  • Press Tab again to activate the L field. Release the mouse button.  Key enter the desired distance value.
  • Tab again. Angle field activates.  vwx creates a "bubble" at L radius (no red lines) showing the  L radius and object located on L radius. Angle field indicates drag angle at activation point. This value does not update as cursor is moved, but does not create an angle lock at this stage.
  • Choices here:
  • A. End the Move without entering an angle value --- Drag around (can be outside the bubble) to move object to desired alignment. Dbl Click to complete move at angle aligned to click point and L radius.  Note: Smart cursor activates snap angles & extensions, but Data Bar Angle field does not update.
  • B. End the Move with an angle value --- Key enter an angle value. Press Return twice.  Object moves to L/Angle location.

More functionality via the floating data bar - experiment by tabbing into the extended fields while applying drags, clicks and returns.

Move By Points instead of Drag is another workflow including with floating data bar input.

I don't know what is intended by the Shift key bubble, or why click defeats the move set up.

HTH

-B