Space Bar Shortcut

I use the space bar to jump to the pan (hand) tool very frequently. All of a sudden it stopped working. It flickers the the hand for a second and then goes back to the arrow. Please help! This is a crucial short cut for me. Currently using VW 2022.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 5/17/2023 at 3:57 AM, Moley Campbell said:

Hi AGPD - did you ever figure this out?

It's driving me nuts too...

Moley 

My opinion is this is a bug. I am on 2023 and it has not happened in quite a while, but it would happen fairly frequently previously. If I recall, it happened almost every time I published. But it would happen randomly as well. Once that happened, a restart would solve it. It was a huge hassle. 

By the way, using the space bar to temporarily invoke the “hand” tool is called “boomerang”. 

• 1 month later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello,

Yes this is annoying. I would likely guess that people experiencing this are on the macOS? In which case usually it is your browser interfering with this functionality, especially Safari, at least in my case. Close the browser and see if that fixes it.

I haven't seen this for a while though, so always ensure you are on the latest iteration of your particular macOS for Apple bug fixes, and always 'check for updates' in Vectorworks so that you are using the latest service pack.

BTW Boomerang mode and space bar Smart Options Display do work together.

Cheers,

Peter

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Cristiano Alves said:

Can we change the function

Dunno. Might be a way.

You are probably aware, but just in case,  one can hold down the spacebar and click any tool in any palette to replace Pan as the active temporary tool. This feature reverts to Pan at next access.

I also would prefer default to Flyover (or other user choice) rather than Pan.

-B

6 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

Dunno. Might be a way.

You are probably aware, but just in case,  one can hold down the spacebar and click any tool in any palette to replace Pan as the active temporary tool. This feature reverts to Pan at next access.

I also would prefer default to Flyover (or other user choice) rather than Pan.

-B

It would be perfect if you could change the tool that is associated with Hold Space, I see that it is not an option for now.

6 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Do you know that holding down the Control (Ctrl) key (maybe ALT on Win) and clicking the wheel button on you mouse will activate the Flyover tool?

2 hours ago, Jonathan Pickup said:

CTRL key and middle mouse wheel on windows

Hello guys, thank you for your answer.
I know that, but I'm to try to find a good workaround to use the trackpad with flyout as we use it precisely with CTRL and Middle Mouse Well.

On some occasions, out of the office, is much more painful to need the mouse all the time to observe a project.

On 3/9/2024 at 5:14 PM, Jonathan Pickup said:

I always take a mouse with me, I just can’t draw or use Vectorworks effectively with the trackpad. 

It is remarkable what can be done with only the track pad   - try the addition of the left hand and existing Zoom / modifier keys.

Peter

12 hours ago, Elite Exhibits said:

It is remarkable what can be done with only the track pad   - try the addition of the left hand and existing Zoom / modifier keys.

Peter

Can you specify it better? 😄

On 3/9/2024 at 10:14 PM, Jonathan Pickup said:

I always take a mouse with me, I just can’t draw or use Vectorworks effectively with the trackpad. 

I had the same opinion until I saw what a friend of mine did on Fusion 360 with the trackpad. I started to get used to it and you can actually do a lot of things.

In this case of Vectorworks, I just wanted to be able to "travel through the project better". I'm often at the location/venue with the client and laptop in hand. We're standing and we don't have a table, so I can have a mouse in my hand. 😞

• 2 weeks later...

To clarify, using a trackpad on a Mac book Pro you can set it so simple zoom and pan, in VectorWorks, works without having to change tools / hold a key / roll a wheel. The Track Pad can also be set so that right click / contextual menus takes no additional keyboard keys or alternate mouse clicks. You accomplish this direct from the trackpad.  Control / function beyond the 3 switches and a roller wheel on a mouse vs fingers already on one Track Pad.

If you are NOT utilizing the Track Pad on your MacBook, an easy start is to turn OFF all gestures in the Preferences, then turn on one feature at a time and see what the function is in VectorWorks. Look also under Accessibility as there are additional features (gestures) there. If you play guitar or piano you know one may hold down a single finger while another finger does something else. Try a similar approach here. Example: Right hand starts to draw a rectangle, lift a finger, left had zooms and pans, right hand finishes the rectangle.

Test the Track Pad gestures along with the modifier keys as they add a few hidden features in VectorWorks.

Based on how you set up your Preferences if the crop perspective is off - you get the ability with the flyover tool & Track Pad to maneuver in the 3-D world - if the crop perspective on - you get actual zoom… as in the drawing gets bigger rather than the 3-D world getting closer.

The Track Pad accomplishes the same mid tool functions a multi button mouse does. Except there is no external mouse to carry, account for, plug in and locate on some adjacent real estate while utilizing a laptop on the road (...or in coach class New York to LA). 

Please see the attached - Track Pad only manipulation (¿ unable to download ?)

Peter

• Like 2