What the heck does this mean?

I've started getting this message every time I make change to a plant. Even if it's just one line in the Plant style/Plant data menu

VW almost hangs (4 or 10 second delay) while showing "updating vectorworks plant catalog" before showing this message:

The plant cannot be found it the Plant catalog it originated from. Do you want to add it as a new entry?

This Plant originated from Plant catalog: 1%. Note: The Plant catalog will be created if it doesn't exist already.

Screen Grab:

691855525_theplantcannotbefound.jpg.887153c90880545deeb4dbc9e9eb5871.jpg

Questions:

• what does this mean? from the convoluted wording I have no idea if "cannot be found it the" is intentional or a autocorrect error...
  • Why is VW saying it can't find the library? I opened the plant from the library file.
  • Originated from? - I created all my plants from scratch.. 
  • what is the proper response? yes, no, cancel?
  • How can I turn this warning off!
  • Is there a way to edit multiple plant objects plant data? - maybe by a worksheet?

Thanks for any insight...

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@hollister design Studio Hi Bruce.

This message happens when you have the linkage between the plant and the plant catalog activated. I'm not sure if you are still using Landmark 2021, so I am going to show this response with 2021...if you are doing this in 2022, it should be the same.

In the Landmark Pull-down menu at the top of the screen, you will notice an option at the bottom of that menu that reads "Choose Plant Data Source".

If you click on that last option, it will open a dialog box that gives you an option to turn on/off that updating action. (see image attached) 

This option is likely defaulted to be on so that designers who want changes they make to the plant data to go into its record in the plant catalog. If you are not using the plant catalog, then you should disable this checkbox...if you are using it and want your changes to update that catalog record, then keeping it checked would be best.

Now...as far as why its triggering that response...if you have changed any of the data it would recognized from the original record for that plant, it will say it can't find that plant (record). For instance, you may have decided to pick a variety of Rosemary that is different than the record chosen in the plant catalog...if you change or add a variety/hybrid name, it won't recognize that plant record...you can add it in (recommended if you are actively using that plant regularly), or you can say 'no'.

I think if you want to update the plant catalog with multiple plants at once, you can disable the check box in that dialog mentioned above...then when you are ready to do a full sweep update to the plant catalog, then use the same Landmark pull-down menu and choose "Update Plant Data". This will take all of the plants in the file and update the plant records in the catalog. Be careful...if you choose the next option, it will take the data from the catalog and update the plants in the project file with what was on the catalog records. This last option may be preferred if you think the plant information from your symbol library is not as current as changes you made to the catalog.

Hope this helps....let me know if otherwise.

Best regards,

Eric

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 3.32.55 PM.png

@Eric Gilbey, PLA

Super helpful. I've unchecked the box

But just to be clear, when you say 'plant catalog'  you don't mean the plant library file I created (with Brian Goff's help) where I store all my custom plant objects.

This file is in my "Libraries" folder and I access it from the plant tool as a favorited file.

When I first started (last year) I tried creating plants from the "get plant data' button on the 'Schedule tab of the Plant Style menu, but never found any cultivars I was looking for... is that the "Plant Catalog"?

BTW, thanks for such a detailed answer!

On 10/11/2021 at 11:21 PM, hollister design Studio said:

But just to be clear, when you say 'plant catalog'  you don't mean the plant library file I created (with Brian Goff's help) where I store all my custom plant objects.

How can i create my own plant library ??

Thanks!

@pitter

I created a file called 01-Plants.vwx and put it in my 'user folder' (which I've, perhaps mistakenly, stored in the /vectorworks data/Libraries folder). I then favorited it so I could access from the plant tool. In my 01-Plants.wx file I have subfolders for Bulbs, Grasses, Perennials, Shrubs, Succulents , and Trees. I store all my custom plant objects in these folders and then I can access them easily from the plant tool or the Resource Manager.

909259985_plantlibraryee.thumb.jpg.83c878c01e2e6e6ab60759442c5f63cc.jpg

I also have 02-2D symblos.vwx, 03-3D symbols.vwx, 04-Details.vwx, etc.

I store the custom objects I made (like Plants or Data tags or Trellises) or objects from the Vectorworks Library (often faucets and fixtures) or thing I've found online (Kats Hatches!) that I use often in these files and subfolders so I know exactly where to find them.

As always, thanks to bgoff for getting me going with this system!

• Like 1

So just to be clear @hollister design Studio, from the above posts I'm right to say you are not using the VW Plant Catalogs as part of your system + for organising your plant data? I'm still not entirely sure what the Plant Catalogs are + what role they play + this seems like a good place to ask the question... @bgoff @Eric Gilbey, PLA would I be right to say it's a means of accessing/editing the data attached to all your plants in one place but that it's perfectly acceptable to manage that data on an individual style level in the same way you would for most other resources if you wish? Be great to have a very simple explanation of what role it plays + the pros + cons of using it/not using it. Thanks

• Like 1

@Tom W. 

Correct, I'm not using the VW Plant Catalogs. And I to would love to hear how the Pros deal with all this!

I do have a worksheet that has many of the important to me Records/Plant Record so I can edit from there... And I can always add more columns if there is a record that becomes important to me in the future.

I'm certainly not implying that I have perfect or even proper system - I'm so still learning this beast!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, hollister design Studio said:

I do have a worksheet that has many of the important to me Records/Plant Record so I can edit from there... And I can always add more columns if there is a record that becomes important to me in the future.

That's interesting so sounds like you have created your own plant catalog in a way then? Again be interesting to know the advantages or not of using the built-in Plant Catalogs over your bespoke database. I'm not even going to mention the VW Plant Database at this point as that just confuses me further...🙂

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Again be interesting to know the advantages or not of using the built-in Plant Catalogs over your bespoke database.

I can't speak for @hollister design Studio but my experience, not just for VW, has been that vendor supplied databases/catalogs may change over time (read drop/remove "obsolete" items or change them in a way that makes them incompatible with previous versions) or not have the exact thing I need, so using my own catalog/database makes sure I have (and can keep) what I want/need and how/when I want it without being fully dependent on the vendor.

That doesn't mean I would avoid using vendor supplied databases/catalogs but for essential items I'd prefer to use my own, which may include items from a vendor supplied database/catalog.

So is that where all this data comes from? Supplied by a vendor?

1285740160_Screenshot2021-10-14at11_11_56.thumb.png.87a4f5942b83e4135bd79926d4e89da6.png

Then in the style for this plant you have the data above from the Plant Catalogs plus a load of extra data:

673132292_Screenshot2021-10-14at11_18_23.thumb.png.3aa8f138014e336578530de6e8291c8b.png

So you have the Plant Record which contains a whole load of data + is attached to the plant style, but part of this data can if desired be derived from the Plant Catalogs which is a separate resource, made up of plant data from an external source?

15 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

So is that where all this data comes from? Supplied by a vendor?

Vendor can be VW or an external vendor/provider from where they source their objects/data.

16 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

So you have the Plant Record which contains a whole load of data + is attached to the plant style, but part of this data can if desired be derived from the Plant Catalogs which is a separate resource, made up of plant data from an external source?

I don't know where VW gets its data from, but most likely from an external source that has a collection of such data.