Renovations: Existing conditions with varying wall types and shapes

How would y'all suggest I draw these existing conditions walls? they vary greatly in depth, and if I make them up of different wall types, the plans look ridiculous. I can't even figure out how to achieve this corner jotting out in the front facade--if I join the walls, I lose the corner. If I don't join them, the plan shows this weirdness: 

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 1.17.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 1.28.54 PM.png

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

You are going to need to make short walls perpendicular to the horizontal wall and join them to both the horizontal and angled walls.

The left end has the horizontal wall joined to the angled.  The right end has the vertical wall joined. Shorten the vertical as necessary to get what you want.

image.png.0d05959ea865b2ae27c96ee175f36ab8.png

Hmm I couldn't get this to work. Nor with a Pillar. Nor with a Wall Projection...

OK. Take a look at the attached movie. Hopefully it will help. I had already done the right side, so I tried to show what I did on the left. I used the Join command, but you could also use the Join tool or the Component Join tool.

Make the vertical wall just barely longer than the horizontal wall is thick. This will let them join, so join them. Then select the vertical wall and Join it to the angled wall.

Be careful, I think you have duplicated a few of the walls in your sample file.

Cheers Pat I don't think I've ever used the Modify>Join command before but it is no different to using the 'Wall Join' tool right?

As regards the wall detail, yes this one is much easier to achieve:

183873962_Screenshot2021-10-13at06_50_24.png.6927577277122a25d8d3e8bc3d9aad7e.png

But I was trying to get it like this which I thought was the detail @Meret Lenzlinger was after:

717658421_Screenshot2021-10-13at06_50_30.png.f3be062c8abd5189ddf55ff91f3b5850.png

I couldn't get this version to 'stick' quite so readily

I don't know what is happening under the hood, but the Join command and the Wall Join tool seem to have very similar results on Walls.

A column the same with as the wall might be the best option with the most control.

I don't know if you can avoid the "interior step" completely, but I think if you make the vertical wall barely longer than the horizontal wall (maybe 1mm or even 0.1mm) then you can achieve something that is well within the accuracy of what will actually get built.

• Like 1

Tried Pilaster Tool (I'd forgotten about those tools thanks) but didn't work v well unfortunately. Much like Wall Projection is unhappy when taken to wall edge. However reducing the interior step to 0.5mm works perfectly so you were spot on there. That was a good little exercise thank you!