Redshift Vapor?

When I try out the redshift renderstyle – even on very simple geometry – I get the teapot symbol for an inordinate long time with no feedback whatsoever and no end in sight.

The one time i let it run out, the result was less than dazzling.

If it requires some special hardware, am I likely to get it anytime soon? My Imac has a few years to go, before I get a new one.

So it does smell like vaporware.

Do anyone have positive experiences with the new rendermode?

Edited by Kaare Baekgaard
grammar
  • Like 1

It is not easy to compare RW and RS as you have to try to find

suitable settings for similar quality on both sides.

But on M1 Mini I had pretty similar render times, with semi complex scene.

And RS might be slower for simple scenes with simple Materials.

It will only shine for very complex geometry and materials with lots of

blurry reflections and such.

But at least RS on M1 works full featured with GPU and Denoising.

A bit underwhelming on my Windows PC as being Cuda only on Windows

and I have an AMD GPU.

So only CPU mode for RS, like RW Rendering. CPU Rendering is of course

faster on my 3950X 16 core than M1 Mini (2,5-3 times faster)

But without Nvidia there isn't even any Denoising pass.

So Rendering looks basically the same

On PC, RS, even using CPU only, was still a bit faster than RW Rendering.

Edited by zoomer

Not trying to be too pessimistic here, but the reality between Redshift in VW and “the real” Redshift used in Cinema 4d, are about as disparate as croissants and fill dirt. 

I did a few test renders.  
An exterior render, not even utilizing the ‘denoiser’ option for Redshift in VW, took about 14 minutes. That same exact scene utilizing Redshift within Cinema 4d took just under two minutes !

You do the math.

i had such high hopes for Redshift being implemented within VW, but it seems it is not quite ready for prime time.

• Like 3
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Redshift is a different render engine entirely, it pays off when you are using effects that require a lot of rays/samples.  There is a limit that the existing Renderworks render modes will reach, that you can see in the renderings.  For example, when I look at existing nice renderings it turns out in the setting that Blurriness quality was set to Medium.  Why?  Because this effect is expensive.  With Redshift there aren't any effects that make it hit a wall like the Renderworks settings did.  When I zoom in to a Redshift rendering that may have taken the same amount of time, there is often more detail to see in it than what is obvious when zoomed out.

Some of the time to render may be because Denoising is on, this makes the rendering take 2x what it would take without.  Denoising does not have to be used unless you want it.

Also, if you go to the Edit Render Style dialog, make sure it says that you are rendering with Redshift.  You can choose a Redshift style on any machine; on machines that don't support Redshift you will get a Renderworks rendering.  VW documents are portable, which means a Redshift render style produces different results depending on what machine it is used on.

Redshift is a big change and will ultimately affect many things over time.  It is a new tool.

@Kaare Baekgaard This doesn't sound like you are getting a Redshift rendering, it sounds like abnormal behavior.  We will need more details to diagnose this.  Does your system meet the requirements in the Redshift section here? https://www.vectorworks.net/sysreq   

4 hours ago, Dave Donley said:

Does your system meet the requirements in the Redshift section here?

Redshift on Mac:

macOS 11.3 or later required.

Minimum: 8GB of system memory (16GB minimum for M1). Apple M1 16GB or AMD "Navi" or "Vega" GPU with 8GB VRAM or more. Single GPU.

Recommended: 16GB of system memory or more. Core i7 or Xeon equivalent, 3.0GHz or higher. Apple M1 16GB or AMD "Navi" or "Vega" GPU with 8GB VRAM or more. Multiple GPUs.

List of supported AMD GPUs for macOS 11.3+

MacBook Pro

Radeon Pro Vega 16/20 Radeon Pro 5500M/5600M

iMac

Radeon Pro Vega 48 Radeon Pro 5500XT/5700/5700XT

iMac Pro

Radeon Pro Vega 56/64

MacPro

Radeon Pro Vega II / Vega II Duo Radeon Pro W5500X/W5700X Radeon RX 6800/6800XT/6900XT

Thunderbolt eGPUs

Radeon RX Vega 56/64 Radeon Pro WX 9100 Radeon VII Radeon RX 5500/5500XT/5600XT/5700/5700XT Radeon RX 6800/6800XT/6900XT

See this document for more information about macOS compatibility of specific GPUs

Edited by zoomer