Gobo effect from regular spot light? (VW architect not spotlight)

Is it possible to create a gobo effect using a point light in VW Architect (I don't have VW Spotlight). I see in Spotlight you can do it by adding a specific lighting instrument but those don't appear to be part of the Architect series.

Basically just want to cast shadows from tree leaves onto several surfaces in an interior render.

If not, are there workarounds?

thx

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It's not easy but it is doable. You would need to place a texture of the tree leave on a 3D polygon in front of the light and then align it with the light.

The easiest way to do this is to put the light and the 3D Polygon/texture inside of a symbol then place the symbol in the document and rotate it as necessary.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Old thread yes, in 2023 spot light objects have a Texture setting in the Object Info palette Render pane.  You can directly apply a texture to a spot light and it will project the image in Shaded and Renderworks render modes.

https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2023/eng/VW2023_Guide/Rendering2/Light_source_properties.htm#h1 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Dave Donley said:

Old thread yes, in 2023 spot light objects have a Texture setting in the Object Info palette Render pane.  You can directly apply a texture to a spot light and it will project the image in Shaded and Renderworks render modes.

https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2023/eng/VW2023_Guide/Rendering2/Light_source_properties.htm#h1 

Sweet. Is this new to 2023? I don't remember learning about this in any of the beta videos, though I may have missed it.

• Like 1

Why can't I search for or even navigate to any gobo texture libraries directly in the Render tab Resource Selector?

Here's the full Resource Manager:

332032686_Screenshot2023-03-28at3_08_03PM.thumb.png.5ae17072736528a0d4ec255327913cf2.png

And here's the Render tab Resource Selector:

879186243_Screenshot2023-03-28at3_08_31PM.thumb.png.063cac2447e9f4c351ccff16d34cb943.png

If you search for "gobo" in the Resource Selector, there are no results. So you have to switch to the full Resource Manager, search for Gobo, Import the one you want, then switch back to the Light to apply it.

@Andy Broomell If you add the gobo files to your resource manager favorites or to the default libraries do they then show up in the browser menu?  Having favorites show in the browser menu sounds like a good enhancement to me if Vectorworks doesn't do that yet.

EDIT: I didn't read this close enough, I am asking around here about why you might not get hits for the word gobo, this may be that the resources are not tagged.