Custom LED wall design without the LED screen tool

You can select multiple symbols and then do Model > Add Solids which will glue them together into one Solid Addition. While this would allow you to map one texture across all of the panels, you would no longer have the individual symbol objects for counting in worksheets and such (if you edit the Solid Addition the panels are still inside as individual Symbols, but are effectively hidden from the rest of the program).

This might not work on all Symbols, or might not be economical for other reasons, but it could achieve the result you describe.

Also, in 2022 it's possible to put the screen texture on only the one front surface, whereas in previous versions the Solid Addition would only take one "overall" texture (so the content would be seen on the back side of the panels too, for example).

An alternative approach is to have a separate extrude right in front of the LED panels.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

You can select multiple symbols and then do Model > Add Solids which will glue them together into one Solid Addition. While this would allow you to map one texture across all of the panels, you would no longer have the individual symbol objects for counting in worksheets and such (if you edit the Solid Addition the panels are still inside as individual Symbols, but are effectively hidden from the rest of the program).

This might not work on all Symbols, or might not be economical for other reasons, but it could achieve the result you describe.

Also, in 2022 it's possible to put the screen texture on only the one front surface, whereas in previous versions the Solid Addition would only take one "overall" texture (so the content would be seen on the back side of the panels too, for example).

An alternative approach is to have a separate extrude right in front of the LED panels.

Thank you, I applied a texture as you suggested and that will get my by for now. 

So if im understanding correctly, there is no way to actually project anything on the led panel symbols at this time? The reason I'm looking outside the LED Tool is because I am working on a few panel designs that don't have standard aspect ratios. 

Well.. Andy just gave you one method. You could also simply add an image prop in front of the LED structure. Or break your source image into tile-sized pieces and map each one individually. So I wouldn’t say there’s no way to do it. There are plenty of options. It’s just easier with the built in tool. 

On 10/5/2021 at 3:26 PM, Ghost Design Firm said:

Thank you, I applied a texture as you suggested and that will get my by for now. 

So if im understanding correctly, there is no way to actually project anything on the led panel symbols at this time? The reason I'm looking outside the LED Tool is because I am working on a few panel designs that don't have standard aspect ratios. 

I often use my symbols and then add a piece of geometry in front for the image. 

I am curious about your comment though. The LED tool is kind of ideal for custom aspect ratios. Just type in what you need. You can use the actual tile sizes or just make the display one big tile. 

Is the issue a custom shape or perhaps curved?  

• Like 1
On 10/12/2021 at 11:56 AM, scottmoore said:

I often use my symbols and then add a piece of geometry in front for the image. 

I am curious about your comment though. The LED tool is kind of ideal for custom aspect ratios. Just type in what you need. You can use the actual tile sizes or just make the display one big tile. 

Is the issue a custom shape or perhaps curved?  

It's custom shaped for a fashion show set. The screen needs to have two door frame size cut outs in it for entry and exit of the runway. 

• 2 weeks later...