Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Handle to symboltogroup.

michaelk

I'm trying to do a 3D rotation (Set3DRot or SetRot3D) on a group that was created by using SymbolToGroup(h,2);

I can't figure out a way to get the handle to that group.  

LNewObj doesn't do it.

I've tried BeginGroupN(hGroup); and running the SymbolToGroup inside that group so I could get a handle, but that doesn't work.

Tried a Waldo.  No luck.

Any thoughts?

Nope.  looking at Debugger.  groupHandle never gets assigned.

PROCEDURE TEST;

VAR
    h,groupHandle
                        : HANDLE;
BEGIN

Symbol('Test Symbol',0,0,0);

h := LNewObj;

SetView(#-90d,#0d,#0d,0",0",0");

SymbolToGroup(h,2);

groupHandle := NextObj(h);

SetRot3D(groupHandle,#90d,#0d,#0d,0,0,0);

END;

RUN(TEST);

It works in my code as does this:

BeginGroup;
                Symbol(GetSymName(hSym), x1, y1, GetSymRot(hSym));
                SymbolToGroup(LNewObj, 2);
            EndGroup;
            hGroup := LNewObj;

But does SetRot3D() support groups? 

I've been trying both SetRot3D and Set3DRot (because I can't remember which is which and it feels faster to try both than look it up and retain it :-).

Procedure Set3DRot rotates the referenced 3D object about a specified 3D point. It works with the following 3D objects: extrude, multiple extrude, sweep, mesh, 3D polygon, solid, CSG solid, group, symbol, plug-in object, NURBS curve, NURBS surface.

Explode = SymbolToGroup() = STG. If it will be a PIO and you want to rotate a symbol in the Z axis, then it must not be hybrid. You will need to investigate a way to restore the view after you switch it to 3D for the STG. Alternatively if the symbols don't contain groups or nested symbols, then you could get a handle to the symbol definition, enter the definition, loop through and duplicate 3D objects then use SetParent() to move them to the PIO, all within BeginGroup/EndGroup, then rotate the group.

• Like 1

@michaelk

Why not place your symbol, rotate it in 3D (or set its 3D angles), THEN convert it to a group? If it is a Hybrid Symbol, you will be limited to Z-axis rotations only. If it is a Hybrid Symbol and you want XY-axis rotations, duplicate the symbol definition, remove all 2D parts, then place the new symbol, rotate, and "explode". Delete the duplicate if desired.

Raymond