Worksheet counts symbols even thought symbols is not checked?

Bruce Kieffer

Question

8 answers to this question

1 minute ago, Pat Stanford said:

Criteria are always going to depend on what you have in the drawing.

As long as those two materials are only used in objects you want in the database you are golden. If they are used in other objects you don't want in the database you will need to add more criteria to specify only what you want.

The more I use worksheets, the more I think one of the easiest ways to have the worksheet populate as I want is to use records and/or materials. I was experimenting with criteria yesterday. Yikes! It's still a mystery to me. I eventually get what I want, but I rarely understand why one setup works and another does not work.

Criteria are the specifiers that determine which objects are going to be included in the database.

These can include Layers, Classes, Colors (line or fill), line weights, Object Types, Attached Record Formats, Field values in attached Records and many other options.

If you are willing to (or need to) attach a record to each object that you want reported, and you are not going to attach that record to any other objects, then Record is a great criteria to use. But if you want to get more complicated then you need to make the criteria more complicated also.

Let me make up an example that might make sense to you:

You are designing a chest of drawers. You put the carcass on one design layer and each (different size) drawer on a different design layer.

To get the over all cost, you want to add up all of the fasteners in the entire object. These have a record called Fastener assigned to them. You use a worksheet/database with a criteria of Record is Fastener and you get a list of all of the fasteners in the drawing. Perfect.

Now you want to make an assembly drawing for the carcass and each drawer assembly. And you want to include a list of the fasteners for only that part of the object. If you only use a criteria of Record is Fastener you will get all the fasteners in the drawing. For the carcass if you use a criteria of:

Record is Fastener

Layer is Carcass

Then both of those criteria will have to be true for the objects that show in the database and you will get a worksheet showing only the fasteners that are on the carcass layer.

You could then create another worksheet for the fasteners used in the first drawer:

Record is Fastener

Layer is Drawer 1

And then you have special Bronze fasteners (which you have specified in a field in the Record called Material) which you are using as a decorative item on the second drawer. You want to show only those items

Field (Fastener.Material) is 'Bronze'

Layer is Drawer 2

Hopefully this will give you a better understanding of how you can use Criteria to limit what you are showing in the database.