loft issue

Bunjimun

Question

8 answers to this question

The problem I find with the loft tool for this kind of thing is that it'll often give you a slightly curved section between the two profiles where you want it to be straight. I think that might be visible in the images above. It depends on exactly the geometry you want but I might approach something like this as an extrude-along-path instead. I hate using the EAP but sometimes it's what you need to do the job. My example doesn't exactly match the geometry desired but shows the general principle. You'd want to do the sides & top separately from the "sill" part.

1038767294_Screenshot2021-09-27at10_32_35.jpg.5be6ce668dbb73887cd57d00ca8cbae5.jpg886032510_Screenshot2021-09-27at10_35_41.jpg.24ca608702a74d19969aadb5db361a5c.jpg474813059_Screenshot2021-09-27at10_35_51.jpg.e97eb528fc4618b210044e7770ceedf7.jpg

• Like 1

@line-weight, thank you for this solution, yeah i noticed the curve and mine does indeed have a slight one, but i think it might be ok for my purpose (i may change my mind and do your way later), both ways are super handy to know and ill be copying these answers to my notes for future ref, thank you both

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Bunjimun said:

@line-weight, thank you for this solution, yeah i noticed the curve and mine does indeed have a slight one, but i think it might be ok for my purpose (i may change my mind and do your way later), both ways are super handy to know and ill be copying these answers to my notes for future ref, thank you both

The best solution often depends on what you need the drawings to do - if they are schematic then the slight curve probably doesn't matter, while if you're at the details stage it might, and in fact I often find that working out how to draw something in 3D is quite informative for how difficult it will be to build in real life.

Edited by line-weight
  • Like 1

Expanding a bit on the theme:

In the great solution by @Tom W., that tapered solid in Step 3 or similar can be used as the arched window's wall hole component. Edit the window and paste a copy into the Wall Hole Component. Or a new symbol can be created with a 2d locus at 0,0,0 and a 3d locus at 0,0,0 and the tapered extrude assigned to the symbol's wall hole component.  Enable the Insert in Wall option of the symbol definition and choose insertion option at edge or at center of wall.  Either way, the window or the symbol will provide a properly shaped opening/hole in the wall.  The shell in Step 4 is used as the window casing.

-B

• Like 2