Texture part of a face

MarcelP102

Question

With VW 2022 it's great that we are able to texture individual faces. However I'm missing the possibility to split a face so I can only texture a part of the face. We do our concept design with SketchUp. There we can easily add lines to split the face and paint those new faces individual. After this action we hide the lines, giving the model a clean look. With VW the only way to split the face is by extruding. This gives two problems. First it results in lines that we don't want to see in the model. Second it makes editing the shape afterward more complex and result in unwanted depth of the mass were in reality everything is in the same plane. 

How we work now in SketchUp:

16966841_Addtexturetopartofaface.thumb.jpg.158197e4b6c6ace4c3457ad54ce2bbc9.jpg

Hope VW implement this function so we can say goodbye to SketchUp.

• Like 2

1 answer to this question

I just tried how Shapr3D handles splitting faces of a solid. You can project a line or face on a solid. This then gives the opportunity to give the split part a different texture. Since Shapr3D is also made with Parasolid Engine, this would mean that Vectorworks should be able to do this too? It would make texturing volumes like the example above much easier.

I have tried the same workflow in vectorworks, but than it makes the solid a NURBS object wich can't be pushed-pulled? Or do I miss something?

@JuanP would you perhaps like to inform the person in charge of this wish? Thanks in advance!

Shapr3D:

1186648439_Shapr3DProjectedfacecanbecollored.thumb.JPG.c9a3b5af7a8fb1705a7515a6f5bb7108.JPG

VW makes a nurbs-surface:
VW.thumb.JPG.ceac64db7049d2b9f2b0ac4945efe4ae.JPG

Edited by MarcelP102