Integrating schematics with 2d RCPs

ryanww

Hello,

Two questions.

1 - I’d like to start doing RCP type drawings with the devices we’re using in connectcad. I’ve been trying to figure out how to make a set of symbols that can link back to the device data within the schematics. Mostly names, types and such. Side question with this: do I need architect version to draw linking lines and home run lines for cabling? I see there’s now some new tools but I’ve tried messing around with it and don’t get it. 

2 - with the above, can I do this within the same file and add layers for the actual cad or is it recommended/is there a way to link this data to another file?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@ryanww Ah yes I get the picture. You don't need Architect to do these kind of drawings. But ConnectCAD isn't aimed so much at residential electrical installations. It's a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

That said, you can place Equipment Item objects on your ceiling plan and those can have any look you want. If you have a symbol you want to use for the look of the Equipment item just create the basic equipment object, and in the Object Info Palette select Use Symbol  and choose the symbol you want. Give the Equipment item the same name as your schematic device and they are linked. You don't have to do this rigmarole every time - you can save the Equipment Item set up the way you want it as a red symbol (Create Symbol command) and just drag it in from the Resource Manager.

Create Equipment also helps automate creating an equipment item for each distinct device name on your schematic.

You can place Drop Points in your ceiling at the points where cabling is delivered. And link these up with Cable Paths created with the Cable Route tool. Link each equipment to the drop point used to cable it (using the control point on the object). Then run the Analyse Cable Routes command to look for a physical route for the theoretical circuits in your schematic drawing. Once you have a routing for your circuits Calculate Cable Lengths will work out the length of each circuit.

You can also use the Spotlight Cable object to draw the cabling directly, and ConnectCAD gets it. Assign the Cable Run ID in the Circuit.Cable parameter and the length of the theoretical circuit is set to the length of the selected Cable object. Calculate Cable Lengths will update the length if you make changes.

Hope that helps a bit. It is overkill for a simple architectural electrical plan but when you have several thousand cables to route it becomes really useful.

Goes without say that I'm looking for ways to fill the niche with a simplified workflow that can exist in parallel with the complex one.

Best

Conrad

• Like 1

@Conrad Preen Alright so I've been playing with this a little bit. I've figured out what you are talking about and was able to link an equipment item and a symbol. Have a couple questions:

1) can I link text from that symbol to data from the original item? I tried setting the text to dev_rec->name but it doesn't pull the data from the linked object. Guessing maybe it doesn't inherit right?

2) I'm completely lost on the cable / cable route / drop point tool. I read through the manual and the documentation doesn't really make sense to me. A tutorial video would be awesome. It certainly is a significantly more powerful tool than what I am really looking for at the moment. My biggest thing right now is probably what the architect symbol set does for wiring in lighting fixtures. I don't want to calculate lengths, just draw the lines but still have it be smart.