Vectorworks 2022 did not recognize my 2021 Workspaces file

Ramon PG

4 hours ago, Ramon PG said:

The only prob I see with not doing it is that you might loose on the newer tools,

I think this works by migration manager better and better every year.

This time I really had all new entries in.

4 hours ago, Ramon PG said:

Thanks for the suggestion. Have you had big issues with this?

I had in the past, where they corrupted and I had to redo them from scratch.

I am always cautious doing so and check them after, but for the last 3 Upgrades,

Workspace migration worked reasonable.

There is simply too much work in it meanwhile (Menus, Tool reordering, ... )

that I would be willing to recreate the whole Workspace, if not 100% necessary.

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1

I recommend rebuilding the custom Workspace from scratch with each release.  From experience I know that a corrupted Workspace can create odd and seemingly unrelated crashes, taking way more time to troubleshoot (and lost work) than the time it takes to rebuild a Workspace.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, E|FA said:

I recommend rebuilding the custom Workspace from scratch with each release.  From experience I know that a corrupted Workspace can create odd and seemingly unrelated crashes, taking way more time to troubleshoot (and lost work) than the time it takes to rebuild a Workspace.

Do you rebuild your workspace from memory or from notes you've made, or is there a clever way to look at a current custom workspace + determine what modifications have been applied to it...?

• Like 1

We usually print off the workspace as both text and screenshots for documentation purposes and this serves as a record but as @E|FA says we have had issues in the past and it’s a false economy not to rebuild the workspace each time. Ditto Templates. You can the discount them as a possible cause should an issues arise.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Do you rebuild your workspace from memory or from notes you've made, or is there a clever way to look at a current custom workspace + determine what modifications have been applied to it...?

1. The main thing I do is to open VW 2021 & VW 2022 side by side, open the workspace editor in each, and look at one as I update the other.  Large or double screen setup helps.  I also do this with the non-workspace settings.

2. I have a cheat sheet that I update each release.  I'm attaching a screenshot of my current draft.  There used to be a 3rd party plugin that generated this automatically.1249295005_EFAWorkspaceDRAFT.thumb.jpg.50170cb7840c7090f3170f3a00d79785.jpg

3. You can export a text record of your workspace: Tools->Workspaces->Workspaces...-> (select workspace) -> Export...

4. I hadn't saved screenshots per @shorter's comment, but it's a good idea that I'll start doing now.

• Like 2