Jump to content
  • 1

Unwanted face overrides in VW 2022


Kaare Baekgaard

Question

14 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Guest Shengxi Wu

Hi @Kaare Baekgaard, thanks for the feedback. I am trying to reproduce the bug and it seems that those unwanted texture overrides will appear as soon as you perform a boolean operation among two textured objects. This is a bug for sure. I will submit a bug report to document this behavior.

 

I am not sure how the latter part of your description ("give the new object textures by changing its class") would affect this, please see the video attached below and let me know if I've missed anything.

 

Link to comment
  • 0

The result does seem odd when the texture on the two original objects is the same texture, but if those two textures were different to begin with, the fact that the resulting Solid Addition could still display both textures is actually a useful new feature of 2022 that I didn't realize existed. So perhaps the only change should be that *if* all textures in the operation are the same, then all faces are assigned to "Overall" and there are no overrides.

 

Interesting results too when doing solid subtractions of different textures. Cool!

 

1248364991_ScreenShot2021-09-24at7_12_38AM.thumb.png.998bac9af1d92c7b55de14736d87a302.png
 

 

Edited by Andy Broomell
  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • 0
On 9/24/2021 at 4:13 PM, Andy Broomell said:

The result does seem odd when the texture on the two original objects is the same texture, but if those two textures were different to begin with, the fact that the resulting Solid Addition could still display both textures is actually a useful new feature of 2022 that I didn't realize existed. So perhaps the only change should be that *if* all textures in the operation are the same, then all faces are assigned to "Overall" and there are no overrides.

 

Interesting results too when doing solid subtractions of different textures. Cool!

 

1248364991_ScreenShot2021-09-24at7_12_38AM.thumb.png.998bac9af1d92c7b55de14736d87a302.png
 

 

Cool? Sure in a novelty kind of way. Useful? Not really.

Link to comment
  • 0
On 9/24/2021 at 3:47 PM, Shengxi Wu said:

Hi @Kaare Baekgaard, thanks for the feedback. I am trying to reproduce the bug and it seems that those unwanted texture overrides will appear as soon as you perform a boolean operation among two textured objects. This is a bug for sure. I will submit a bug report to document this behavior.

 

I am not sure how the latter part of your description ("give the new object textures by changing its class") would affect this, please see the video attached below and let me know if I've missed anything.

 

By default all new objects, that I make, have their texture assigned by class. I think most users work this way. So when I change the class of an object, I change its textures. Preferably all of them (always!). I may assign an override on purpose after that, but never before.

Skærmbillede 2021-09-30 kl. 09.19.07.png

Link to comment
  • 0
Guest Shengxi Wu
7 hours ago, Kaare Baekgaard said:

Yes, no? Anyone from VW?

 

This is not an idle claim, guys.

 

There are unwanted relic texture overides all over the construction tree of every effing level of every effing boolean object.

 

Please tell me it is on a to-do list somewhere...

 

Hi @Kaare Baekgaard, sorry for the late reply. We were swamped with different tasks recently so we might not have a chance to revisit the Texture task in a moment.  I'll bring this up with our engineers, and see if there is an easy fix for this.

 

Just to clarify: rather than having the behavior shown in @Andy Broomell's post, you think it makes more sense for new faces resulting from boolean operation to either

  • have no texture (if the original object has no overall texture), or
  • have overall texture

Is that correct?

Link to comment
  • 0

@Kaare Baekgaard - In your case, are your original objects all using the SAME texture or are they DIFFERENT textures?

 

@Shengxi Wu - At the very least, if the original objects are using the SAME texture, the resulting boolean should not have any face overrides - it should simply be the one OVERALL texture, i.e. the same texture that the original objects had. I assume this is what Kaare is experiencing.

Link to comment
  • 0
Guest Shengxi Wu
1 hour ago, Andy Broomell said:

 

 

@Shengxi Wu - At the very least, if the original objects are using the SAME texture, the resulting boolean should not have any face overrides - it should simply be the one OVERALL texture, i.e. the same texture that the original objects had. I assume this is what Kaare is experiencing.

 

For the case where the two original objects are using the same texture, I believe we've fixed this in VW2022 SP2.

 

The behavior shown in your screenshot, where the two objects are using different texture, still remain. I am wondering if that is what Kaare would not prefer.

Link to comment
  • 0
Guest Shengxi Wu
8 hours ago, Kaare Baekgaard said:

 

 

 

Hi @Kaare Baekgaard, I am sorry that we haven't addressed your concern in time.

Just want to confirm, would it be helpful if we enable the "Remove Texture Override" command from the context menu at a group level?

image.png

Link to comment
  • 0
16 minutes ago, Shengxi Wu said:

Just want to confirm, would it be helpful if we enable the "Remove Texture Override" command from the context menu at a group level?

 

In general it seems odd that nothing can be done at the group level. I would find this handy, in addition to other commands at the group level such as selecting a texture.

 

 

--------

 

Another thing related to this thread... When using the Split tool to slice a 3D solid, the sliced edge shouldn't end up with a Face Override. It should just be the Overall texture.

 

434116803_ScreenShot2022-01-14at8_45_31AM.thumb.png.59ad7d70f96f6bd4b4d3e700b94820b9.png

 

(I'm not even sure where it's pulling the override Texture from... It must be the most recently added texture or something so it's the one that gets used by default)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • 0
Guest Shengxi Wu
2 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

 

In general it seems odd that nothing can be done at the group level. I would find this handy, in addition to other commands at the group level such as selecting a texture.

--------

I believe operation at group level was proposed in the original design for batch processing. For some reason (probably because of the minimum viable product requirements, or might be technical challenges), we decided to not go with it. Anyway, we will investigate if that is possible in case that resolves Kaare's concern.

 

2 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

 

(I'm not even sure where it's pulling the override Texture from... It must be the most recently added texture or something so it's the one that gets used by default)

I can't reproduce it. Could you attach a sample file so we can look into that? Thanks Andy.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...