Laser in Vision

Hello

So glad that lasers are finally a part of vision. However tying it to Pangolin Beyond is a very limited choice. Maybe thats a US thing?

Are there any plans to include some more protocols? I use Touch Designer to generate Laser content and send it using AVB (Laseranimation Sollinger) or interfaces like Etherdream or Helios. At the very least some DMX controlled lasers would be great to have.

I am certainly very interested to hear what the plan is moving forward.

Thank you

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

For now we have only implemented receiving data via the Pangolin protocol. We will consider other implementing other protocols in the future depending on requests from users what information is available from the manufactures about the protocol. Pangolin worked very closely with Vectorowrks in order to allow Vision to properly read and render the data that was being sent.

Lasers are being added to the GDTF specification so once that happens DMX  controlled lasers will be more feasible within the limitations of the DMX protocol.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

well, what can I say... Others, obviously could follow later on...

I honestly think Pangolin as a partner in first place is a very right choice for VW as they're the only renowned lasers company that oversees in global lasers community and general lasershow users market rn.. 

And No! Pangolin is not in US only, it's in fact literally around the globe tbh... 

Also not to mentioned that you could do really cool things as for their new Z-Axis focusing system atm.. (aka #BeamBrush if you don't know it) which simply.. a witchcraft that you simply cannot get from others 😏😁

But I personally not sure yet as if Vision do already implement this feature yet
(or maybe in future updates?)..
(Big question that I want to ask in the upcoming webinar)

I know, there maybe a flaws as.. no software is ever built to such perfect. But for me personally as a long user of Pangolin Software, they're pretty much on check marks in most what we need and respectively to all laserist too 😉😄 

Wrong! I agree to disagree.

Beyond support major industry protocols, and this include Touch Designer on itself in the first place. You can simply utilized a connection within it as many as others modern lasers software and that feature do already exist since the early days of Beyond release (where it's not really as popular as it is rn).

And all this is backing up to your original preference obviously.

Yes I might be a prefab Lasers Software users, but still. I could literally make such content within it, in a way more then anything... compare on what TD can do 🙂

also what's your based saying :

I feel like the only advantage here is for vectorworks inc, not for the user.

Although yes, they both are the US company, I don't judge! But I don't see it like it would brought any issue or whatsoever 😛

12 hours ago, JHR said:

Although yes, they both are the US company, I don't judge! But I don't see it like it would brought any issue or whatsoever 😛

There is absolutely no technichal reason to only implement one brand like that. And its not to the benefit of the user -quite the oppposite.

Its like only supporting one brand of light desk in vision, it would make no sense. Pretty sad imho.

Well we shall see... as I mentioned earlier, others could be added ASAP if there is a demand for that...
Maybe VW don't see any demand to pretty much on others to done anything like it...
Thus, again, Majority of Lasers Industry, I could assure to you over 90% of it are currently using Pangolin product.. and what lasers company these day thus their system doesn't integrated vertically 😂..
That's why.. 
But again... this doesn't close any possibility for future implementation as there will be always a thing called partnership 😉

Can we agree that there are other industries than the one you are referring to? In my world nobody uses pangolin.

And why should it matter? Why would Vectorworks feel the need to dictate what other products one uses. None of the other visualisers do.

Sorry but this is a strict business decision and vectorworks is in cahoots with pangolin. And thats their right I suppose, but I refuse to sugarcoat it.

I apologize for rambling on, I mean no offense to anyone. I have to cancel my vision subscription and change my workflow and it becomes a waste of precious time, thats why I feel strongly about it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2022 at 8:57 PM, fuberator said:

Can we agree that there are other industries than the one you are referring to? In my world nobody uses pangolin.

And why should it matter? Why would Vectorworks feel the need to dictate what other products one uses. None of the other visualisers do.

Sorry but this is a strict business decision and vectorworks is in cahoots with pangolin. And thats their right I suppose, but I refuse to sugarcoat it.

I apologize for rambling on, I mean no offense to anyone. I have to cancel my vision subscription and change my workflow and it becomes a waste of precious time, thats why I feel strongly about it.

Well, there always been a word called "request"...
Have you actually requested them for this certain criteria on your specific software use officially? like sending an email n such? if so, have they respond it to you? etc...

And also, as I have said before those are Depending on where you live. Some region do had their software become dominant then the others I admit that, but back again they might seeing it for majority global use rn 🙂

So, it's your choice tho... feel free for it hehe, No one is holding a hostage here (●'◡'●)

Oh btw... Idk if anyone here aware yet.. (since this is actually a common issue as well with other PreViz software when you're new to it)

But is there a way on how to configure the output signal for the lasers projector in vision? 
I know we could redirect the input using :Fixture Number: in Properties tab... but it seems only restrictive to 4 received signal only? (although I have change each of it  to more then 4.. like 5,6,7,..+ etc)

Is there a configuration tab (like in Realizzer or Depence2) they have some sort of tab to configure on how many lasers data stream that could be received by the previz software (in this case with Vision)..

But by far I don't see it in anywhere on Vision? Did I miss something? or this is because I'm using Educational License which is restricted?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Yes, the number of lasers you can use is limited by your license, it's the same limitation as the number of universes.
Educational users are limited to 4 universes and 4 lasers.

Users who purchase Vision have unlimited lasers and universes.

• 1 year later...