migrating plugins to a new version of VW

Following on from this, a question about the actual plug in files themselves (VSM,VSO etc).

Should these be backwards compatible with previous VW versions? Or do I need to distribute them in the oldest version I want to support and then when the user first runs the command it will automatically update it to the latest version?

On 9/28/2021 at 1:06 AM, tbexon said:

Following on from this, a question about the actual plug in files themselves (VSM,VSO etc).

Should these be backwards compatible with previous VW versions? Or do I need to distribute them in the oldest version I want to support and then when the user first runs the command it will automatically update it to the latest version?

From my experience, any plugins created before the latest version work with the latest version -- IF -- they are not using depreciated function calls (alot got dropped in 2012).

But if you're wanting plugins to be backwards compatible they have to be created/edited in that version to work with that version.

E.g

You create a plugin in version 2018, and then come 2021, a new version gets released and all should be well (from what i know, no functions were depreciated in 2021).
However, once you make any edit to the plugin using the plugin manager, under 2021, (eg add a parameter, remove a parameter, change a parameter name, etc), that action breaks backwards compatibility. If you point your script to an external source and are changing script code in an external editor, this doesn't seem to affect the *.vso or *.vsm files.
So if you are want to do edits to the plugin via the plugin manager and still maintain the backwards compatibility you'd have to do it in the earliest version (in this case 2018) you want compatibility for.

Again, my own experience. 

Edited by twk