Class visibilities for sections through design layer viewports

Boh

I have a symbol on a floor plan layer. The symbol is on a class "Symbol Class". All symbol geometry is also in the "Symbol Class"

I have a DLVP of that layer on another layer with the DLVP visibilities for the "Symbol class" set to invisible.

I have a section viewport through the DLVP with the section line located so that it also goes through the symbol.

I have the section vp class properties "Use embedded design layer viewport settings" for class visibilities checked. I also have "Display extents beyond the cut plane" checked.

So my understanding is that as the symbol class is set to invisible in the DLVP and I have "Use embedded design layer viewport settings" for class visibilities checked, this should mean the Symbol should not be visible in the Section VP. Correct?

Unfortunately not so. The symbol is still showing in the section viewport. I have tried using different renderings and playing with the advanced properties but the symbol always shows.

Now if I move the section cut line so the section line is now just in front of the symbol the symbol then disappears.

I have also tested this with a slab object instead of a symbol and get the same result.

So it seems that the "Use embedded design layer viewport settings" for class visibilities can't be relied on for section viewports.

This is not great news for my current multi storey building project where I am using DLVP to duplicate identical floor plans over 6 storeys. There are slight differences in the floor plans which I hoped to control with classes however it doesn't work for section cuts.

Has anyone else come across this problem and suggest a good work around?

Thanks

Edited by Boh
  • Boh changed the title to Class visibilities for sections through design layer viewports

Rereading the original post a week a week or so later it is a bit confusing.

Essentially it’s about the control of the section vp class visibilities of objects embedded in a design layer viewport.

The section vp dialogue has an option checkbox to “Use embedded design layer viewport settings".

Ive found that in vw 2021 this doesn’t work for objects cut by the section line. It does work for objects beyond the section line.

Is there a workaround to this? Is it still a bug in vw2022?

@Matt Panzer if you have time can you please have a look at the test file I posted previously?

Thanks

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
21 hours ago, Boh said:

Rereading the original post a week a week or so later it is a bit confusing.

Essentially it’s about the control of the section vp class visibilities of objects embedded in a design layer viewport.

The section vp dialogue has an option checkbox to “Use embedded design layer viewport settings".

Ive found that in vw 2021 this doesn’t work for objects cut by the section line. It does work for objects beyond the section line.

Is there a workaround to this? Is it still a bug in vw2022?

@Matt Panzer if you have time can you please have a look at the test file I posted previously?

Thanks

I took a look at this and still see the issue in VW 2022.  I cannot think of any workarounds for this.

I submitted a bug for this:

VB-182958 Section Viewport: "Use embedded Design Layer viewport settings for Class Visibilities" ignored for objects passing through the cut plane.

• Like 1

Thanks Matt. I’m a bit surprised that others haven’t  picked up on this bug earlier. As I understand it this is how dlvps are intended to be used.

Hopefully it will be sorted in the next vw 2022 service pack.

My work around for my current project was to reorganise the file so I had a “base plan” design layer which only contained objects that were common to all floor levels. Then have separate design layers for each floor with each containing a dlvp of the base plan dl plus the remaining stuff modelled in. 

This way I don’t need to rely on the dlvp class visibilities at all. It also meant a lot of duplication of some stuff that was repeated across most but not all floors.
Took me a full day to rework it. 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
3 hours ago, Boh said:

Thanks Matt. I’m a bit surprised that others haven’t  picked up on this bug earlier. As I understand it this is how dlvps are intended to be used.

Hopefully it will be sorted in the next vw 2022 service pack.

My work around for my current project was to reorganise the file so I had a “base plan” design layer which only contained objects that were common to all floor levels. Then have separate design layers for each floor with each containing a dlvp of the base plan dl plus the remaining stuff modelled in. 

This way I don’t need to rely on the dlvp class visibilities at all. It also meant a lot of duplication of some stuff that was repeated across most but not all floors.
Took me a full day to rework it. 

You're welcome!

Sorry for the frustration!

Yeah.  I was thinking of something similar as a workaround.  Not ideal.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

So I think maybe is in the same category. VW2021 sp4.1

The item clouded in the section viewport is a group of three objects assigned to an invisible class.

A symbol within that grouping, also assigned the invisible class is invisible but the other two objects which are assigned a visible class inside the invisible grouping stubbornly remain visible. This does not occur when utilizing "Open GL" rendering as seen by the gray in section detail 3, but when utilizing "Hidden Line"(the foreground setting in section detail 3) and "Dashed Hidden Line" they erroneously show objects within invisible groupings. This doesn't occur with regular viewports, details 1 and 2.

Unfortunately I don't know of another way to control clipping of the depth of field except though sectioning.

image.thumb.png.0f3e7a707451ab36106e47df2c3e0584.png