My 'Favorites' are doubled in the resource manager...

hollister design Studio

Question

In my continued saga of trying to rebuild my work space (after VW2021 removed/deleted/reset to default everything when I installed the new VW2022) it seems that the resource manager is creating doubles of my favorites....

Screen grab:

156073905_duplicatefavorites.jpg.db34adab751966a71532a6e9dd445d6f.jpg

Honestly not the worst problem this caused...

But does anyone have any ideas as to why?

And /or how to fix this?

16 answers to this question

You could navigate to the favourites folder in the User file and make sure that there are only the correct amount of shortcuts/aliases in the folder.

Its worth checking all the Favourites folder locations (User, Application and possibly Workgroup libraries as well) so you may have duplicated shortcuts.

• Like 3

Note that you can right click on a file in the RM and choose “Reveal in Explorer” (or whatever the nomenclature for Windows is). 

Then you’ll see exactly what’s in your Favorites folder and can clean up as needed. 

if you make changes in Explorer, back in Vectorworks you’ll have to click the gear menu in the RM and choose “Refresh Libraries.”

• Like 4

@Andy Broomell That seemed like it would clear it up! ...but oddly they both go to the same folder. Also it opens the folder with the file (NOT the folder with the shortcut) - maybe there is a duplicate shortcut some where.

When I right click on a single instance and select 'remove from favorites' both copies are removed.

And when I right click on my workgroup file and select 'add selected file to favorites' two copies show up again.

@Boh that got rid of the duplicates!

Thank you.

...but it also got rid of my workgroup libraries.

I guess as long as I have them all favorited that doesn't matter that much since tool menus (ie the Plant Tool or the Data Tag tool) can't directly access Workgroup Libraries.

I have only really used WG Libraries to access my files from the resource manager and make them favorites...

4 hours ago, hollister design Studio said:

I guess as long as I have them all favorited that doesn't matter that much since tool menus (ie the Plant Tool or the Data Tag tool) can't directly access Workgroup Libraries.

Hmmm. I can access workgroup libraries from any tool that uses the RM:

image.png.627a47e38b252d156b566103663be646.png

All the tools can access Workgroup libraries but you need to have the same folder structure in place that exists pre-made in your user library. When they are set up correctly can forget about the User folder completely and use Workgroup folders from cloud drives and have the same resources everywhere you have Vectorworks installed.

@markdd

Interesting.

Where in the folder hierarchy should workgroups be?

When I was originally setting up my workgroup (under the direction of a VW trainer) I just put them in the '/libraries' folder and pointed the "workgroup and project folders" to the top level 'Vectorworks Data' folder.

Should I create a 'workgroups libraries' sub folder inside the 'Libraries' sub folder and point VW there?

@Andy Broomell yes, I see them now in my User Libraries folder.

But I still can't access them from any tool menu sub-RM drop downs (like the Plant Tool) see screen grab - the user folder and the workgroup folder are not populated in the tool dropdowns.

screen grab:

1677862934_duplicatefavoritesd.thumb.jpg.9f1f2a31ffcdc54b8f597633e84ef0f8.jpg

@Andy Broomell and @MarkBB  - I had a moment this morning to get back into setting up a proper folder structure.

I looked in the auto-created folder structure on my D:/ drive that I use for my cloud backed up files.

On 9/21/2021 at 12:50 AM, markdd said:

All the tools can access Workgroup libraries but you need to have the same folder structure in place that exists pre-made in your user library. 

I couldn't find any pre created "User libraries" folder or  "Group Libraries" folder.

(I checked and the auto-created VW2022 folder structure in pretty much exactly the same)

Questions:

Where should I create this 'User libraries' folder so that the tools menus can find it?

Does it need a specific name?

My current folder structure:

When first setting up my user libraries I was instructed by a VW employee over the phone to place my files in the 'libraries' folder. 

no mention was made of a special sub-folder.

But this does not allow the tool menus to find the original files (only the ones I have set as 'favorites')

884409053_UserLibrairies.jpg.5ca9db5b106888148515322627970e1e.jpg

When I added these file to my favorites, VW creates a shortcut in the 'Vectorworks Data/Libraries/Favorites' folder.

241825418_UserLibrariesFavorites.jpg.77040461d841ef3f3d38268c4611d575.jpg

If you open the sub folder called “defaults” in your libraries folder you will see a whole bunch of sub folders for various types of resources.

The files in these defaults folders are the ones tools look in for content. So the plant tool will look in the plant folder (or whatever they are called) for default content, The stair tool will look in the stair folder, etc. place your files in the appropriate resource default sub folder.

The exceptions are styled objects. Files with styled object Le like data  tag styles, reference marker styles etc should be placed in the appropriate “object styles” sub folder.

Im not sure what all the “object - ———“ sub folders are for.