show objects above cut plane as dashed line without necessity of auto hybrid objects

matteoluigi

In general objects, which are above the normal floor plane cut plane (in general the height in Europe is 1m), are shown with a dashed line. I remember that this idea has ended as a new feature a few years ago.

However it only seems to work partially to me.

- Wallll-objects UNDER the cut plane (especially walls) work fine.

- Walls and Slabs over the cut plane  instead don't work.

- Slabs also aren't shown with their material hatch when in cut plane and aren't shown dashed, when they lay above the cut plane.

- Walls aren't shown dashed, when they are situated above the cut plane.

So actually I think I have to model every wall above the cut plane as a 3d-volume and create an autohybrid symbol from it, in order to integrate it as good as possible in our BIM-Model. Right?

screenshot.png

On 9/20/2021 at 11:12 AM, matteoluigi said:

In general objects, which are above the normal floor plane cut plane (in general the height in Europe is 1m), are shown with a dashed line. I remember that this idea has ended as a new feature a few years ago.

However it only seems to work partially to me.

- Wallll-objects UNDER the cut plane (especially walls) work fine.

- Walls and Slabs over the cut plane  instead don't work.

- Slabs also aren't shown with their material hatch when in cut plane and aren't shown dashed, when they lay above the cut plane.

- Walls aren't shown dashed, when they are situated above the cut plane.

So actually I think I have to model every wall above the cut plane as a 3d-volume and create an autohybrid symbol from it, in order to integrate it as good as possible in our BIM-Model. Right?

screenshot.png

You are out of luck, the Cut Plane is half baked, it only would work with walls, and nothing else, you will have to use 2D linework to represent projected objects, like slabes above or roof above and the list goes on...

Just now, DBrown said:

You are out of luck

yeah, that's what I actually "was afraid of"... I mean, in university and every technical drawing school you learn that you have to show all objects, covered ones and invisible ones (above the cut plane) in different dashed line types. Now the future is BIM and now I have to draw everything in lines again? Why do I do BIM then? Sounds to me quite antiquated... pity but, somehow symptomatic for many tools in Vectorworks, good ideas but half baked 😞 

• Like 1

I agree it's not really good enough that you have to add detail in 2D linework (which has to be manually updated at every revision), in a "BIM" workflow.

Have a look at the approach explained at the end of this thread

I still want to look at this more closely to understand how it works but in principle there might be a way of using this type of method to get your overhead lines.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Our drawings symbolically show all objects above the cut plane in a dashed line.

We created a project parameter in our template called "Visibility Style".

That parameter is linked to a series of filters that override the line styles.

All we have to do for each item is set the Visibility Style to Above and those items show in the line style we want without having to linework or draw detail lines, which are both view specific.

The filters are set up in each of our View Templates, so we only have to change the Visibility Style once.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, MBruno-JDB said:

Our drawings symbolically show all objects above the cut plane in a dashed line.

We created a project parameter in our template called "Visibility Style".

That parameter is linked to a series of filters that override the line styles.

All we have to do for each item is set the Visibility Style to Above and those items show in the line style we want without having to linework or draw detail lines, which are both view specific.

The filters are set up in each of our View Templates, so we only have to change the Visibility Style once.

I don't quite follow your description.

What do you mean by "project parameter"? You have a parameter called "visibility style" but this is a parameter of what?

When you talk about "items" do you mean objects in the model? Or, for example are you talking about viewports?

What is a "view template"?

• Like 2

Or working with the Vectorworks Datamanager??!?

let's say, the we define a field in a record format which subtracts the design layer cut plane elevation from the height above layer elevation for all objects.

then we define a data vizualization that defines that all objects with a value bigger than 0 have to be drawn with a dashed line type (unless you don't put off a checkbox, that defines, that that object has to be drawn with a solid line, despite of the fact, that it's situated above the layer cut plane). could be worth an approach...

However, I am curious on what @MBruno-JDB answers on our questions 😉 

• Like 1