Stair Height

I am trying to draw stairs in the" REven Double" configuration and want the rise to be 7 1/2" h. but the tool makes them only 7 1/8" h in the 3-d mode. The floor to floor dimension is 9"8". Is there anyway to make the tool draw it as I imput the dimensions into the info box? I have to agree with some of the other postings, that while the tool is helpful to have, it could use some additional tweaks. Thanks for your help.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

9'-8" is 116". 116" / 7.5 = 15.466 (not an even number of risers). What the stair does is find the riser (that is less than your "max riser" parameter) that it can evenly divide into the floor-to-floor height. Generally speaking, building codes (and best practices) do not allow significant variations in risers within a flight of stairs. So in this case the stair divides 116" by 16 and comes up with 7.25", the maximum unvarying riser height it can plug in to your floor-to-floor height. How would you change it?

I actually started with trying to use 7 1/4 " now as I remember but it measured 6 7/8" so I was trying to trick it to make my rises the correct measurement. 7 1/4" does mulitply into 16 risers, as you mention, but it is not drawing it that way. Any suggestions?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Patricia, I can't reproduce your problem. I just now, with VW11, drew a stair with floor-to-floor height of 9'8". I set the max riser at 7.5" (and got as expected 7.25"). Then I set the stair to front view and measured from nosing to nosing. It measured 7.25" Can you send me a file that illustrates your problem? randerson@nemetschek.net

I just tried adding another stair way to my drawing and input the above dimensions and it came out correctly. I sent my file to the tech e-mail address. But at least I correctly drawn stair. If you figure out how I corrupted the stair, let me know. Thanks for your time and help. Sorry about the double reply above.