VW2022: shaded view doesn't display wall components with "fill" colour

line-weight

Question

The behaviour I am used to in VW is that if I:

make classes with a fill colour:

794179597_Screenshot2021-09-20at09_49_55.thumb.jpg.50e12d98447c6d726e3cc53c5a23cce9.jpg

Assign these classes to wall components:

192704125_Screenshot2021-09-20at09_49_21.jpg.04b7c8382d4cf2b57970261c14b04b25.jpg

make sure that the "fill" of those wall components is set to "class style"

1766360604_Screenshot2021-09-20at09_49_36.jpg.b8bb6aae57e69d283328da6073b2ee36.jpg

Make sure the wall object is set to render "by component"

430692670_Screenshot2021-09-20at09_52_56.jpg.b3b6dda94c52f2e9ce2dcba2cf77640b.jpg

And make sure that in the OpenGL options I tick "use colours"

1419773675_Screenshot2021-09-20at09_54_03.jpg.b124a06b6fd1c246f14bc2eccf0a61ac.jpg

Then, my wall should look like this is OpenGL view:

2028789196_Screenshot2021-09-20at09_54_53.jpg.b4a4a188937a5d755e7cfddab5d5e15a.jpg

Doing all this in VW2022 produces a different result though - my wall just looks like this:

817462883_Screenshot2021-09-20at09_55_52.jpg.32e1aac9c27fb66ab770c047654bcf46.jpg

I've created the two extrudes to show that assigning them to the relevant classes has the expected outcome- they are displayed with their red and green fills. But the wall isn't.

Is this intended behaviour, an error on my part, or a bug?

• Like 1

16 answers to this question

I think there are some issues.

I copied a Wall, inserted by CMD+ALT+V, moved it and

it lost its Materials.

AFAIK I had to reactivate "by Components" in OIP.

The new Options in OIP, to e.g. override the Top Face of an Extrude

is cool (but wasn't that always possible, at least for Extrudes)

But I am not sure if I am still able to reliable use the legacy mode to

strictly assign Materials by Classes without any override exceptions.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, zoomer said:

I think there are some issues.

I copied a Wall, inserted by CMD+ALT+V, moved it and

it lost its Materials.

AFAIK I had to reactivate "by Components" in OIP.

When you say "materials" do you mean, attributes of classes that you set up as "material" classes... or do you mean, the newer vectorworks-defined "Materials"?

• Like 1

Sorry, I meant my Renderworsk Materials.

All set by Class and Components for PIOs.

Copied my 2 Ply Wall and see that got a white Wall while the other Walls

were still colored/textured.

Basically it looked like your Wall.

Maybe you check in OIP > Render,

if VW also accidentally switched Material use off or changed it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, zoomer said:

Sorry, I meant my Renderworsk Materials.

All set by Class and Components for PIOs.

Ok - as in your Renderworks Textures?

So you choose what texture each wall component has by class, and render the wall "by component".

This works for me, if I have the wall components set to classes which have textures.

However, the problem is when the class has no texture. So, say I have a class called "red fill class".

Under its "graphic attributes" I set its "fill" like this:

1734259839_Screenshot2021-09-21at12_32_41.jpg.dd474c8f01ab6ee97758d443d3fec4f7.jpg

But then under its "textures" I assign no texture, like this:

2017079997_Screenshot2021-09-21at12_33_49.jpg.da23a5fb3bf6bc30340da34ff020adcd.jpg

In previous versions of Vectorworks, this would result in the wall component in OpenGL view being shown in the "fill" colour.

In VW2022 this seems to result in the component just being shown as white*.

In other words, if I want to control the appearance of a class-controlled wall component in "shaded" view, then I have to assign a texture to it, rather than just a fill colour.

*in fact, further experiments show that it will not always default to white, but to some other fill colour that I previously assigned to that component when I gave it a "fill" attribute directly, and not controlled by class.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, line-weight said:

In previous versions of Vectorworks, this would result in the wall component in OpenGL view being shown in the "fill" colour.

I think it "should" do the same in VW 2022.

As it works for your extrudes.

I can get my Walls white when I switch OIP Render back to "by Object"

And I tested Shaded without Textures but Color on.

And I can confirm that it will show Class colors for many Object Types - except for Walls ....

(Maybe more Types ? But my Columns look OK)

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, zoomer said:

I think it "should" do the same in VW 2022.

As it works for your extrudes.

I can get my Walls white when I switch OIP Render back to "by Object"

And I tested Shaded without Textures but Color on.

And I can confirm that it will show Class colors for many Object Types - except for Walls ....

(Maybe more Types ? But my Columns look OK)

Thanks for the confirmation.

It does seem it's specific to walls. I've just tried with a slab object, for example, and it behaves as expected.

Well, i often grumble that we are asked to submit bugs when all the info is laid out already in a thread like this.

Nonetheless I thought I'd try submitting a bug for this issue - partly to see if it actually caused anything more to happen than when I report something on the forum here.

I just spent 15 minutes of my own time doing this, preparing and uploading a sample file, filling out all the fields in the form, describing how to replicate step by step, and so on. Then I press submit, and the form deletes everything I've just written, giving me an error message relating to the number of digits in the serial number I entered.

So that was a waste of my time and I'm not going to type everything out again.

Maybe if any Vectorworks staff are reading this thread they could acknowledge the issue.

• Like 2
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
7 minutes ago, line-weight said:

Well, i often grumble that we are asked to submit bugs when all the info is laid out already in a thread like this.

Nonetheless I thought I'd try submitting a bug for this issue - partly to see if it actually caused anything more to happen than when I report something on the forum here.

I just spent 15 minutes of my own time doing this, preparing and uploading a sample file, filling out all the fields in the form, describing how to replicate step by step, and so on. Then I press submit, and the form deletes everything I've just written, giving me an error message relating to the number of digits in the serial number I entered.

So that was a waste of my time and I'm not going to type everything out again.

Maybe if any Vectorworks staff are reading this thread they could acknowledge the issue.

Sorry this happened to you!  We encourage users to submit bugs and it should be as painless as possible for you to do so.

I was actually looking at this issue (probably while you were typing all that up) and I can reproduce the problem.

I will submit a bug report now.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

We encourage users to submit bugs

That is the usual official bureaucratic but recommended and most useful way to do.

Honestly I do so also only for 1 of 4 Pro Apps too, where it may be a bit more

comfortable, more rewarding or such things.

As the more sloppy user preferred way is just to rant on the forum, Jim W invented

to direct specific support personal directly to such forum threads with bug potential

or even fill the Bugs himself.

This is still the case, by developers that take a look at Threads specific to their own tasks.

And especially @Matt Panzer and @JuanP do so very often.

This is very comfortable for users but pretty unique in Software World.

So kind of a VW only (forum) Feature.

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, zoomer said:

That is the usual official bureaucratic but recommended and most useful way to do.

Honestly I do so also only for 1 of 4 Pro Apps too, where it may be a bit more

comfortable, more rewarding or such things.

As the more sloppy user preferred way is just to rant on the forum, Jim W invented

to direct specific support personal directly to such forum threads with bug potential

or even fill the Bugs himself.

This is still the case, by developers that take a look at Threads specific to their own tasks.

And especially @Matt Panzer and @JuanP do so very often.

This is very comfortable for users but pretty unique in Software World.

So kind of a VW only (forum) Feature.

Thank you, @line-weight

We do what we can and it’s extremely important for us to get these issues reported.

On 9/21/2021 at 3:08 PM, Matt Panzer said:

Bug submitted:

VB-182641: T02171 - Wall: Wall Components with fill attributes all by class do not take on their class fill color

Pleased to say that at first glance .... this problem seems to have been fixed in VW2022 SP2 - even though the above bug number isn't mentioned in the release notes.

13 hours ago, line-weight said:

Pleased to say that at first glance .... this problem seems to have been fixed in VW2022 SP2 - even though the above bug number isn't mentioned in the release notes.

Ah yes.  This fix was one of the last to make it in SP2.  The bug report was not updated as "fixed" at the time of the SP2 release so it didn't make it in the release notes.

• Like 2