Fixture ID in Spotlight numbering

Chris Miller

Hi everybody,

I'm having an issue getting my fixture ID to display correctly with the spotlight numbering option.  I was able to do it last fall in v.2020, but in v2021 and v2022, it seems like the fixture ID in the label legend doesn't collate to the available fields in the 2D layout.  The most I can tell is that the unit ID or unit number should be what the fixture ID is, but it doesn't match when executed. Can anyone enlighten me on what I'm doing wrong?  Thank you in advance.  

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

As far as I can tell the behavior for the Fixture ID attribute of the label legend is the same in 2020, 2021 and 2022, in that it references the instrument type parameter of the lighting device.

You will need to select channel or unit number in the edit label legend dialogue to display these parameters in a label legend.

20 hours ago, jcogdell said:

it references the instrument type parameter of the lighting device.

Why would the Fixture ID parameter of a Lighting Device reference another parameter (Instrument Type) essentially creating a duplicate parameter of no use.  I'm not saying you're wrong.  I'm just saying that this seems ...I'm struggling here...  uselessly stupid.  Is there a nicer way to say that?  There's an explanation that my simple mind is missing, right?

I would have though that "Fixture ID" would be a holder for what some consoles use as a control channel, e.g. the Grand MA's "Fixture Name", but I guess not.  Chris, I think you are going to need to create a custom user parameter in the Spotlight Preferences of the Document Settings to hold your Fixture ID and assign that custom user parameter to an LL.