Wall holes in Plan View

Shortnort

This may be a dumb question, so please bear with me. (I am new to VW)

I have a Pre-Engineered Metal Building with a wall type for the wall panels, girts, insulation, etc. that encloses the entire building.

I then inserted windows into the exterior wall - no problems.

There is a portion of the building where a 3-5/8" stud wall with drywall is attached to the outer wall. I cut a hole in the wall by creating a recess. The opening shows properly in 3d, but in Plan View the wall appears solid.  

I see that curtain walls have a setting for a cutline height, but do not see how to do that in standard walls.

How do I get the opening to appear in Plan View? 

I tried using the horizontal section and it shows properly, but none of the wall types, door swings, notes, dimensions, etc. display.

I am sure there is a toggle somewhere to correct this, but I can't find it.  Any suggestions are most appreciated.

9 hours ago, Shortnort said:

There is a portion of the building where a 3-5/8" stud wall with drywall is attached to the outer wall. I cut a hole in the wall by creating a recess. The opening shows properly in 3d, but in Plan View the wall appears solid.  

As far as I know a Wall Recess (Feature in Wall) should display in Top/Plan by default unless you have the the 'Break' parameter in the OIP set to 'No Break' - I don't think there are any other options for controlling how it displays... I don't think the cut plane layer elevation settings will have any effect on this (they don't seem to have much effect generally...)

The other option for creating a hole through a wall is to use a Door or Window in an 'Opening' or 'Cased Opening' configuration.

Thank you.  Where is the "No Break" parameter you mentioned.  I can not find that. 

Another option I have considered is to have a new wall type that incorporates the furred wall, but that means the exterior wall is not continuous.

I think your option of using Cased Opening or Opening is probably the best.   Looking back, that is probably the simplest from several aspects.

Thanks for your input.

611511148_Screenshot2021-09-19at15_19_36.png.5ae8503774347773a9bdee5192a93dbd.png

Ah I understand what you mean a bit better now. You have a main exterior Wall then in one section drywall lining as a second Wall planted alongside it. And you want to extend the window in the outer wall through the second inner wall. An easy way to door this is to Option-click + drag a duplicate of the window into the second inner wall then change the configuration of the duplicated window to 'Opening'. This way the opening will be the right size.

But I would probably like you say just create a second Wall Style that incorporates the dry wall lining rather than have two walls alongside each other (unless it was important to be able to show the exterior walls + the internal linings separately in documentation). It's fine to butt two different walls end to end. Can get a bit fiddly when you have a third wall joining to form a tee but not impossible (to get the three different sets of components joining the way you want)

• Like 2

Thank you.  Pre-engineered metal buildings are so different than than typical construction.  It is easier for clients to grasp the construction when only the frame and sking from the PEMB manufacturer can be shown and then the "finishes" placed on the frame.

Now - this is related but a little different...

I created a new wall type that has brick veneer incorporated with the PRMB Frame, just for simplicity sake.  

Question:

How do I create a sloped brick sill and a soldier brick header? I know I can go through a lot of steps with extruded faces, etc., but is there a way to have the window opening and door opening automatically remove the outer component a certain distance? 

I love Vectorworks, but most of the models used for demonstration purposes use simple finishes with little to no detail on how to accomplish some basic tasks. 

Is there a sample file somewhere that demonstrates some of the techniques?

Thank for for assisting me.  I hope it hasn't been too much of a burden for you.

4 hours ago, Shortnort said:

How do I create a sloped brick sill and a soldier brick header?

You can generate this kind of thing using the Sill + Lintel settings in the Window Settings:

242339601_Screenshot2021-09-20at17_41_31.thumb.png.ff035abc88f1db5b681a41e9300507ad.png

Or:

666498908_Screenshot2021-09-20at17_46_39.png.8a98850513d63242c879f2c61ebacbfd.png

I should have used a soldier course texture for the sill + lintel but didn't have one to hand but you get the idea.

I'm not entirely sure what you're meant to do with the corresponding brick lintel that's generated internally...

Another option would be to create your own custom window symbol + incorporate the sill + lintel in the symbol. Use the wall hole component to clip the wall as desired for both. This has the advantage of restricting the lintel to the exterior face of the wall + gives you the flexibility model the sill exactly the way you want it.