Timber slatting

Okay, long shot:- An external finish I often use is larch or similar as a slatted rainscreen - boards with gaps, on battens, over a waterproofing finish on the structure. I can model this as a solid material component on a wall or roof and apply textures which make it look like boarding with small/no gaps between. But what I'd really like is to have boards with wider gaps which realistically show the stuff behind - for example 50x50 slatting*** with 50mm gaps which runs across a window, or slatting over waterproof finish on a pitched roof. I'm currently doing this through the laborious route of modelling the slats as 3D solids in arrays, but boy this is clunky. I'm not missing anything am I in terms of how a wall/roof component can be manipulated?

*** (Okay, I know someone's going to say "why would you do that" but I have this very arrangement on the office window just to the left of where I'm sitting - it gives me views of the street and means I can open the inward-opening window in summer, and indeed leave it open, without anyone reaching/climbing in and cleaning out my office. There!)

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

@MogTheSmilingCat I was going to suggest trying using a Wall Hole Component symbol to cut away the outer wall component to form the slats. See this thread:

Did it work for you reliably ?

Tried that too lately for my typical Sheet metal facade panels.

All the time when I touched my Walls in any way, like reconnecting Walls,

half of the Symbols felt out of my Walls or changed the Wall side, flipped

their direction, did not cut the Wall Component and such things.

Someone also mentioned Curtain Wall Tool. But this is again a second Wall

touching my Walls and risk my complex Wall Connecctions.

And I am not sure how flexible it is when my clients constanly change fugues

grid and size. Vertical grid has different sizes also.

For now I decided that I will just array copy Symbols of my Panels.

Could also be a single Symbole that gets scaled.

But I am not sure how reliable these are for later Exports ?

At least I had great problems in the past with scaled Blocks in VW,

imported from DWG.

1 hour ago, Tom W. said:

It's not something I've used extensively but when I have its been fine. And never had issues with Wall Hole Components in other contexts...

Would you mind attaching your Symbol,

so that I can compare if I set or done something wrong ?

I had basically the same, just in horizontal direction.

I had 30-40 extruded Rectangles in my Symbol.

30 minutes ago, zoomer said:

Would you mind attaching your Symbol,

so that I can compare if I set or done something wrong ?

I had basically the same, just in horizontal direction.

I had 30-40 extruded Rectangles in my Symbol.

Sure see attached.

The slatted timber cutout I only made for this thread so haven't used it other than just now.

Also attached is a cutout I use for creating a plinth stretcher brick course which I have used extensively without problem.

The former comprises 501 extrudes whereas the latter has only one extrude.

I have no idea why the slatted timber extrudes are invisible within the Wall Hole edit mode...

wall hole symbols.vwx

• 2 weeks later...

Oooo - just spotted all these having been distracted for a week or so - it's like Xmas morning !

Many thanks for the two main suggestions - will experiment. The curtain wall solution looks good as a first try-out - I can simply set a path offset from the main wall and then copy across any doors/windows and turn them into unframed (or indeed framed) openings. Will report back...