working without screen plane in VW22

So screen plan has become legacy now. I think it's good to have this simplyfied.

But for example, when in front view, what is the simpliest way to move parts of a 3D drawing parallel to the screen without accidently snapping to points that are somewhere perpendicular to the screen ? Up to now, I haven't found a workflow that is quicker than simply moving in screen plane ....

Edited by halfcoupler
16 hours ago, Tom W. said:

So in VW2022 I won't be able to draw a screen plane rectangle to create a quick cropped viewport of a 3D view?

You can re-activate screen plane by 2D legacy mode options in "Document" Settings.

And AFAIK it is still available automatically for Files that still contain Objects set

to Screen Plane.

19 hours ago, halfcoupler said:

when in front view, what is the simpliest way to move parts of a 3D drawing parallel to the screen without accidently snapping to points that are somewhere perpendicular to the screen ?

I use Move by Points Tool and "T" key to lock to an Axis.

As long as I am able to find an area free of objects, otherwise, when you hover

over any object, "T" will not lock,

it works most reliable of all workarounds for me.

It doesn't even need an Orthogonal Side View.

As it work as well in any 3D or Perspective.

Edited by zoomer

I was about to write that dimensioning elevations just got a lot more interesting - BUT

I see some nice attention has been paid to exactly this - now in VW2022 front elevation dimensions all lie on the xz plane no matter what the y coordinate of the click point is.

Edited by bcd
  • Like 2

I'm not sure why anyone who doesn't use Screen Plane cares about it.  For those who do, like me, not having screen plane is a deal killer regarding future upgrades of VW.  I've already paid for v2022, but won't even use it if Screen Plane doesn't work.  I'd appreciate any further feedback on whether the legacy capability actually works.

Edited by P Retondo

I have noted the "working plane" methods that might be basically the functional equivalent of screen plane in views other than Top Plan, provided we can paste a planar object created in some other view onto the working plane.  Seems like a lot of effort went into that engineering when Screen Plane was working perfectly well.  So now we can have ephemeral 3d planar objects floating in space in addition to 3d planar objects on the layer plane.  What's behind the fervor over that?  We always had 3d polygons, and VW since day one has had Screen Plane 2d objects, even though they weren't called that until Layer Plane came in.  I don't get it.  Why does someone like Zoomer want to get rid of a method others use and have relied on?  As for the alleged simplification that started off this thread, I'm not seeing how Working Plane 3d planar objects makes things simpler - just different, at a cost to engineer all that.

Thanks, though, to those on this thread who have pointed out that we can work with v2022 when creating, editing and orienting objects in views other than Top.

I have Rectangle shaped Facade Panels (?) with visible fugues (2-4 cm)

between them. The Panels are aligned vertically by a grid of e.g. 60 cm

and horizontally by my Building Axes (e.g. 7,2 m)

So I need to be able to align my cutting Symbol geometry along X and Z Axis.

Also I may have some irregularities for the Building Axes, like some may be

8,4 instead of 7,2 m.

So basically I have to build the geometry of the fugues, to cut it out of my

most outer "metal" Wall Component.

Should not just take the first proposal in from Apples dictionary but also read the rest.

I wondered for some time already, why people seem to always have problems with my fugues.

Or when talk about STRG+C and STRG+V

(of my QWERTY keyboard when I thought CTRL+ ... is just a differentiation for a Mac keyboard)

Nevertheless,

so far I tried to not just insert my Symbols in the middle of the Wall but align the

cutting geometry in Symbol from its Center = insertion point and tried to insert the Symbol

into Walls at a special point along the Wall.

And this way the inserted Symbols were very unreliable by unwanted changing position

along the Wall, I wasn't even able to inert all Symbols for each Stories Wall at the same place.

And when I touched the Wall or repaired Wall Connections, the Symbols stayed but I lost the

cutting effect, It jumped to the other Wall's side or lost insertion.

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, zoomer said:

Nevertheless,

so far I tried to not just insert my Symbols in the middle of the Wall but align the

cutting geometry in Symbol from Center = insertion point and tried to insert the Symbol

at a special point along the Wall.

And this way the inserted Symbols were very unreliable by unwanted changing position

along the Wall, I wasn't even able to inert all Symbols for each Stories Wall at the same place.

And when I touched the Wall or repaired Wall Connections, the Symbols stayed but I lost the

Can you post a file showing what you're doing? I'd be interested to see.

11 minutes ago, zoomer said:

I've had issues in the past where Symbols In Walls would move or become disconnected when modifying the Wall, particularly using the Split tool to split the Wall. I submitted VB-177295 which is marked as having been fixed in 2022. Just tried it and it seems to behave better. Perhaps it also improved the issue you're describing (?)

Yes, I have not yet tried Symbols in Wall with VW 2022

(because the whole geometry already changed meanwhile 🙂 )

Also want to give the Curtain Wall Tool another VW 2022 try

and still tend to finally just array basic Panel Symbols along the Facade.

I have to expect that Facade Grid and color separation to change at least

5 billion times in the future and however I will organize it to expected

possible changes it will not fit to the coming change ideas 😉

• Like 1
15 hours ago, zoomer said:

Should not just take the first proposal in from Apples dictionary

Hi zoomer,

I'm using this one:

https://dict.leo.org/englisch-deutsch/

estabished in 1995, it is one of the oldest free dictionaries in the web. (Even older than wikipedia). Its a bit oldschool, but much more precise than Apple or Google.

I think the "panel problem" is a very good example for using screen plane:

First, I always end up in creating three types of panel-symbols:

- "untouched" panels as they come from the manufacturer

- panels with vertical and/or horizontal cuts only

- special panels with cutouts and/or non perpendicular cuts. (In the end you will always need a drawing for these ones, so creating them as symbol from the beginning will help with the detail drawings later on in the project)

So when it comes to distribute those panels on a facade I'm mostly using the duplicate array tool for that. (I'm not an architect, so I'm not using the wall tool at all) but I suppose this will work properly both in VW21 and VW22. And it works in both in screen or layer plane mode.

Inserting a special panel at a certain point of the facade mostly can not be done via inserting symbol, since the insert point of the symbol mostly will not fit to the reference point on the facade.

But if the symbols all have the same thickness (which mostly is the case with facade panels), you can simply duplicate one panel that was already placed correctly and replace it with the panel symbol you need. The new panel then is already correctly oriented in depth.

Assuming the model is oriented in x- and y-axis, all you have to do now is switch to front-, back-, right- or left- view in screen plane and move the panel to the desired position, without caring if you picked the panel on the top side or backsice, and on which plane the insetion point is. If you do that in layer plane you may accidently snap to a point underneath or above the desired position, or connect the the top side of the panel to the backside of an existing panel.

So this was my original question in this thread, I know there are some some workarounds to do all this in layer plane, but they all seem to take longer than the method described above.

Any thoughts ?

Edited by halfcoupler
  • Like 1