No Screen Plane in 2022

Bruce Kieffer

Question

The

7 minutes ago, mjm said:

Ok. But this is what I'm seein in 2021…

A standard Right View, that worksheet, pasted into the 3d view and staged as appropriate is still editable via double click, which then updates the actual hanging schedule below. 

Does that address your concern?

Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 6.11.14 PM.png

This thread is referencing Vectorworks 2022. Things have changed.

@mjm My understanding of Bruce's issue is that while you can do this (or use the fancy new Align Working Plane to Current View button in a 3D view before placing the worksheet), it would only every work for that view, versus having it on the screen plane and always facing the camera while you orbit around the drawing.

Personally, I would just have the worksheet open in its edit view and would only place it either directly on a sheet layer, or within an annotation of a viewport, both of which can ONLY be on the screen plane, so there's no need to have a way to toggle it.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Jesse Cogswell said:

@mjm My understanding of Bruce's issue is that while you can do this (or use the fancy new Align Working Plane to Current View button in a 3D view before placing the worksheet), it would only every work for that view, versus having it on the screen plane and always facing the camera while you orbit around the drawing.

Personally, I would just have the worksheet open in its edit view and would only place it either directly on a sheet layer, or within an annotation of a viewport, both of which can ONLY be on the screen plane, so there's no need to have a way to toggle it.

Yep. I have not had much time to experiment, but there is a solution I am sure. It's just going to be different than how I did it in 2021.

Edited by Bruce Kieffer
  • Like 3
7 hours ago, Bruce Kieffer said:

Sure, and that is what I did too, but it doesn't work now.

Ahm, what's wrong with re-activating the 2D legacy option for new files,

or just go on using Screen Plane for all files that already contain screen

plane assigned objects ?

The new VW 2022 pink "screen plane" is just a temporary drawing aid

as it is now..

• Like 1
18 hours ago, zoomer said:

Ahm, what's wrong with re-activating the 2D legacy option for new files,

or just go on using Screen Plane for all files that already contain screen

plane assigned objects ?

Nothing, but Vectorworks push is away from screen plane, and that may mean that it goes away completely in the future.

When I think more about my situation, having my cut list worksheet on my design layer only serves me when I am "validating" the worksheet entries. I had to find another way to print the worksheet. So ultimately I will save time and work by using a solution that puts my worksheet on a sheet layer and view it in a split pane setup. Then it will be easy to print it when that time comes.

Edited by Bruce Kieffer
5 minutes ago, Bruce Kieffer said:

Nothing, but Vectorworks's push is away from screen plane, and that may mean that it goes away completely in the future.

Got it.

Yes I remember Unified View OFF was mainly used to Print and create Plans from DL.

But I don't think that 2D legacy will disappear that soon. Why, it does not disturb by itself,

just when you have a hidden legacy element somewhere in your File 🙂

8 minutes ago, Bruce Kieffer said:

When I think more about my situation, having my cut list worksheet on my design layer only serves me when I am "validating" the worksheet entries. I had to find another way to print the worksheet.

I think Printing the table from SLVP is no big problem or inconvenient.

But checking your worksheet while drawing/modeling without screen plane

would need to temporarily switch to Top Plan View from time to time.

I messed around with this some more today. I'm convinced that the best solution is using Multiple View Planes. It's easy to set up with my worksheet on a sheet layer, easy to turn the panes view on and off, I could create a floating window and place that on my second monitor, and it is easy to print. It solves a lot of the issues I had with the worksheet on my design layer. I feel like I retired my fax machine and 8-track player all at the same time! Here's what it looks like:

655052478_ScreenShot2021-09-23at9_21_01PM.thumb.png.3e7157c408a071da9472d9ffc9b01fa6.png

Edited by Bruce Kieffer
  • Like 4
On 9/22/2021 at 8:32 AM, Andy Broomell said:

f you're actively working on the worksheet while modeling, I'd suggest deleting the Worksheet Data object, and instead going to the Resource Manager, right clicking the Worksheet thumbnail, and choosing Open. Then you'll have the worksheet editor without it being an object in the drawing. You can also click the little "+" icon to minimize this window whenever it's in the way, but allowing it to stay accessible.

Immediately after multiview panes were introduced I added a wishlist item to allow things like worksheets, script palettes, the script editor etc. to be docked into the workspace as a pane........ clearly this needed even moreso now.

Kevin

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Bruce Kieffer said:

I messed around with this some more today. I'm convinced that the best solution is using Multiple View Planes. It's easy to set up with my worksheet on a sheet layer, easy to turn the panes view on and off, I could create a floating window and place that on my second monitor, and it is easy to print. It solves a lot of the issues I had with the worksheet on my design layer. I feel like I retired my fax machine and 8-track player all at the same time! Here's what it looks like:

655052478_ScreenShot2021-09-23at9_21_01PM.thumb.png.3e7157c408a071da9472d9ffc9b01fa6.png

Awesome solution! 

On 9/22/2021 at 12:15 PM, Andy Broomell said:

-and lastly and most important to me personally, is the deprecation of Cropped Perspective view (this should be solved by fixing the RW Camera tool's useless blue corner crop marks and making cameras cropped by default like any other respectable software). Cinema 4D handles this perfectly - a shaded rectangular border which you can set the opacity of under preferences.

I'm finally getting going with VW 2022, and I've just realized that "Cropped Perspective" has fallen victim to the (mostly welcome) "removal" of Screen Plane.  It's bad enough that I originally had to seek out "Cropped Perspective" (why wasn't it the default??) so that I could frame my camera views.  The blue corner crop marks are indeed useless; beyond useless.  Am I missing something, or do we really, still, after 9 months and with SP3.1, not have a way to frame and compose perspectives???  VWIS233

5 minutes ago, MarcelP102 said:

@willofmaine
1. In perspective view click this button

image.png.10b8b4468b0f375418eb5d908721520c.png

2. And than draw shape and use that to create a cropped viewport

Does this help?

Not quite the same thing. Cropped Perspective clips the view to match the Camera view so allows you to see what will end up in a camera-generated VP. Otherwise you're limited to using the blue viewfinder markers which as pointed out are somewhat inadequate to put it politely

• Like 1