VW2022 changed my VW2021 settings...

Hmmh,

maybe I look for certain furniture, look through the offers and import 6-10

into my file where I look closer. If i find one pleasing and geometry not crappy

I might insert it in the drawing.

I will do Purge every now and then which gets rid of my plan less imports.

But that means the next Project I will do the same search again.

So a favorites folder would make more sense (?)

But the delivered Libraries are so large with not the best signal to noise ratio

that I avoided it so far.

But if we had an option to just hide unwanted crappy Library Files (e.g. any imperial)

from the list I may be more enthusiastic to do so (?)

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 2

@Andy Broomell

All the Resource Selectors (thanks for the term) show all the appropriate object in my Favorites - they do NOT show my user or workgroups.

I have wall style favorites and hatch favorites etc. and use the Resource Selectors often.

What they DO show: current open documents, favorites, premium libraries and vectorworks libraries (all the above have the little dropdown arrow) 

What they do NOT show: my user libraries or my workgroup libraries when I had them - no little dropdown arrow.

I currently have my User Library files in D:\Onedrive\1_HollisterDesignStudio\Z-REF\Vectorworks Data\Libraries 

Screen Grab (sorry about the ugly windows explorer file system....) user libraries are all the numbered .vwx files at the bottom.

I got the original files from bgoff when I first started in VW(thanks again Bryan!)

728135385_UserLibrayLocation.jpg.869fffa21dbd38ebcbc05ae270415d12.jpg

Maybe it they need to be in a different folder?

1 hour ago, hollister design Studio said:

Maybe it they need to be in a different folder?

Yes, that is likely your issue. Two things - First, let's make sure which folder is set to be your User Folder under Vectorworks Preferences. Could you screen grab that preferences screen so we can see what it's currently set to? (From your most recent screengrab I'm going to guess your User Folder is called "Libraries" since that's the root folder shown in Explorer)

Then... within that folder, files need to be in specific locations in order to show up in the Resource Manager / Resource Selectors.

"User Libraries" ONLY shows things with the "Defaults" and "Objects - xxx" folders, I believe. Your 13 files can't just be in the root folder.

Alternatively, placing the files in the "Favorites" folder would make them accessible in that category. Which is what I would recommend personally.

I don't think it's possible to have a User Library file that's not within a folder, which is why I find Favorites a little handier.

3 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

Alternatively, placing the files in the "Favorites" folder would make them accessible in that category. Which is what I would recommend personally.

I don't think it's possible to have a User Library file that's not within a folder, which is why I find Favorites a little handier.

It really is the easiest choice for me. It lives in it's own Dropbox folder so it's available from most anywhere, most anytime & of course synced to the laptop

17 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

Note that if you're migrating a workspace, you should later go into the Workspace Editor and place new tools from the "New" menu into their proper places, and generally review everything in your workspace. Best practice is actually to re-create your custom workspace each year starting with one of the default workspaces, but I don't usually get to this until a few weeks into using a new version.

Last time round I just migrated my Custom Workspace + carried on using it but there are risks of it becoming corrupted if you do this right? Hence your advice to at some point recreate it manually + presumably the reason for the comment here:

So next question: is there a clever way of analysing a custom workspace + identifying what elements have been customised, in order to manually reapply them to a new workspace? I don't think I've radically altered it but it's hard to remember what was there from the beginning + what I've added/modified myself... I tried exporting my workspace as a text file but that didn't tell me very much. Or perhaps I should have made a note of the changes as I made them for future reference? Did someone somewhere say they kept an Excel spreadsheet listing all their modifications...?

Also whilst we're on the subject, it looks like I modified an existing workspace rather than creating a new one:

1534069285_Screenshot2021-09-25at14_20_52.thumb.png.6a258d45e425a6ccf09a60dcff240f10.png

I guess I should have duplicated the Designer workspace then customised the copy right? But looks like I can do this retrospectively by duplicating it then reverting the original + calling the duplicate 'Designer-TW' or whatever...?

Thanks for all the advice!