Viewport

I'm trying to make a cropped viewport, by creating a 2-D rectangle on the design layer, then opening the Create Viewport dialogue box, but for some reason I can't specify a sheet to creat eit on, but instead it automatically creates a new one. Unfortunately I can't cut and paste the viewport onto the sheet I want. Suggestions, fellow travellers?

First of all, lets make sure that our terminology is up to date.

OLD:

Sheet = Set using buttons in lower left of VW window.

NEW:

Sheet = Created in the Layer dialog window, (two tabs at top: Design & Sheet)

An example:

I have a floorplan with a complex window bay.

I want to have a blown up view detailing this on the same printed page as the overall plan.

The Design Layer that the plan is drawn on is called Plan1.

In the Layer dialog window, I create a Sheet Layer named Plan1.Bay.

In the Design Layer- Plan1, I create a Viewport of the entire plan, named Plan and specify Sheet Plan1.Bay.

In the Design Layer, Plan1 I create a Viewport of the bay, named Bay and specify Sheet Plan1.Bay.

Within the Sheet Layer Plan1.Bay I can now move, crop, and/or annotate these viewports, (also note the viewport options in the O.I. pallette).

A Saved View, (formerly Sheet), at this point named A1-Plan1.Bay can filter classes and hold the page location for printing, Sheet Layers can also be directly printed using Batch Print.

This is a basic strategy that does not begin to approach the capabilities. I especially like the annotation feature as it frees up the design layers from text and dimension clutter. I also appreciate how within a Sheet Layer objects can be grouped with a viewport for easier formatting; like notes and arrows pointing to parts of a rendered Viewport. [Cool]

[ 07-21-2004, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: EvB ]

I think I'm following you now, but I noticed when I select the viewport and then try to render via the OIP- the viewport boundary lines suddenly become dashed, but the drawing in the viewport does not render---regardless of the rendering engine or view I choose. Cue the Twilight Zone theme song.