Trees not showing on plan and section drawings

ElenaPampana

Question

Hello everyone!

I have the following problem:  any object from the resource manager that I download into my model, eg. trees, won't show on plans, sections, elevations viewports. 

I made sure that both the objects and their "sub-components" are all on visible classes, however the problem still persists. 

Can anyone help? 

Thanks 

6 answers to this question

1 hour ago, ElenaPampana said:

Hello everyone!

I have the following problem:  any object from the resource manager that I download into my model, eg. trees, won't show on plans, sections, elevations viewports. 

I made sure that both the objects and their "sub-components" are all on visible classes, however the problem still persists. 

Can anyone help? 

Thanks 

I take it you can see these trees on your design layer, but are unable to see them in your viewports.

Are you sure the Viewport's Layer and Class settings are turned on for those objects?  FYI, If you created the drawing and viewports 1st, and then introduced new content with classes that did not previously exist in the file, it's possible those classes are not turned on for the viewport (depending on how you set things up).

If the objects are not visible in your design layer, that could be a completely different issue.

Thank you for your prompt reply Jeff! 

Yes, I can see the trees in the design layer but not on viewports. 

I checked and all the Classes and Layers for the objects are active/visible the viewports I created. 

I also tried to bring the objects into the design layer before creating the viewports, but it didn't make a difference. 

Any other idea what the problem might be? 

I should add, when I insert a tree using VB Visual Plant, then the tree appears in the viewports with no issues. But on the 2022 Vectorworks, I can't find the VB Visual Plant command anymore. 

Finally, the trees I inserted from the resource manager into the design layer are only showing in viewport when the render style is set to shaded. I don't have that problem with the tree I got by using VB Visual Plant tool. 

Edited by ElenaPampana

Sounds like your problem is relayed to viewing 3D models (VB Visual Plant) and not the display of actual Plant Objects.  Suggest reviewing the various display modes of 3D models to get your desired result.  I haven’t used 2022 yet, but I suggest you read about the new features… they changed the name of VB Visual Plant to something like Rendermall Plants.

When a Viewport is created, it locks in the Layer and Class visibility that were present at the time of creation. By default, newly added Layers and Classes are set to Invisible in existing Viewports.

The Layer and Class visibilities in Viewports can be set by either selecting the viewport and clicking the Layer or Class buttons in the OIP, or via the Visibilies pane of the Organization Dialog Box.

So if your tree is in a class that was non-existent or invisible when the Viewport was created you will have to adjust the visibilities to let is show.

• Like 1

@ElenaPampana

@Jeff Prince & @Pat Stanford comments above are key - although I have a collection of workarounds when I have VP that do NOT look correct and I need to deliver the design before VW have an explanation (If they ever do...)

Suggestion:

When I import / inherit items from other drawings - (Even when created in VectorWorks) I take the specific problematic object and place it into a blank drawing - as None and Dimension are the only Classes in a Blank drawing, any classes used in that solo item (your Tree as an example...) will be appear in the Organization Palette / Classes.

I often find some Legacy CAD induced Classes like "0" - "PDF" or plural versions of what I thought the classes should be.

In that drawing, where you have this single problematic item, Classes could be deleted / combined / renamed then the item brought back to the main design.

Another non destructive (albeit potentially convoluted...) is to Save the drawing, turn all the classes on in the VP,  Update - see what is visible (theres that tree ?!? ) - then Revert to Saved for a return to the previous VP Class settings.

Peter