Any luck with Win Door in 2022?

KrisM

Question

I have been looking forward to the inclusion of Win Door in 2022. So... make a wall. Click on WinDoor. Get an outline of a door and place it into a wall. Great. Got a door. Do some other stuff. Click on Win Door again. Get the Win Door options displayed at the top of the screen. So Win Door should be operational. Do not get any door outline to inset the door. Win Door basically does nothing. Try this iin a new file. I can place a few doors and then nothing. Try the Win Door ID tag tool a door already inserted. Click on the door. Click on the ID location. Door disappears in 2D. If I look in 3D, there is a door opening but no door. Opening doesn't even show in 2D. WAY TOO BUGGY! Anyone else have a functioning Win Door?

21 answers to this question

Are all the WD- classes set to visible? Windoor uses a WD-2D class for most 2D geometry and a range of other WD- classes for 3D geometry, ID tags,  ceiling lines etc.

These should all typically be set to visible except the WD-ceiling lines class which is typically off but can be used in reflected ceiling plans. 

Another possibility is the cut plane settings. Their are various options for how the 2d can be displayed depending on how high the windoor object is placed in relation a determined height.

51 minutes ago, Boh said:

Are all the WD- classes set to visible? Windoor uses a WD-2D class for most 2D geometry and a range of other WD- classes for 3D geometry, ID tags,  ceiling lines etc.

I saw these Classes first in the WinDoor Class Settings - but not in my Navigation Palette !?

And all my Edits in the WinDoor Settings Window were ignored for my Wall Inserted WinDoor.

Changes only worked by OIP Edits.

There may be lots of user errors from my side but some things don't look issue free fror me though.

Will have take a look at the Video Tutorials before further testing 🙂

Nikolay,

VW file attached, screen recording link - https://youtu.be/Nwl2oS7d5bs

In 2022, Architect workspace -

Create generic wall

Place 3 Win Door doors, get door preview, successful

Place VW door, successful

Go to place another WinDoor door, get the door preview (don't actually place the door)

Click on WinDoor ID tool, click on door, click for ID location, door disappears. Look in 3D, opening is there but no door. No door in 2D

Try to place another Win Door door. Don't get any preview of the door object.

Win 10, current update.

AMD Ryzen 7, 32GB, NVidia 2070 Super

2022 Test File WinDoor.vwx

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@KrisM Thanks for the video and test file. I was able to reproduce the issue that you are seeing. The problem comes when you click with the WinDoor tool once on the drawing and then cancel the tool by pressing ESC. The problem seems to get fixed if you restart VW. We will see what is causing this and work on fixing it. Sorry for the inconvenience!

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 9/17/2021 at 7:54 PM, KrisM said:

Nikolay,

VW file attached, screen recording link - https://youtu.be/Nwl2oS7d5bs

In 2022, Architect workspace -

Create generic wall

Place 3 Win Door doors, get door preview, successful

Place VW door, successful

Go to place another WinDoor door, get the door preview (don't actually place the door)

Click on WinDoor ID tool, click on door, click for ID location, door disappears. Look in 3D, opening is there but no door. No door in 2D

Try to place another Win Door door. Don't get any preview of the door object.

Win 10, current update.

AMD Ryzen 7, 32GB, NVidia 2070 Super

2022 Test File WinDoor.vwx 220.7 kB · 5 downloads

- After some more testing it seems like turning on "Run scripts in developer mode" in "Vectorworks preferences" fixes this issue. You can use this workaround for now.

@Julian Carr thanks very much for that video - I would not have managed to get anything working without it.

A critical point is that you have to turn on wall closure for the individual window instance, and you have to do it via "plug in object options".

As far as I can see, this is not explained in the most obviously relevant help page:

https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2022/eng/VW2022_Guide/Walls/Wall_closure_settings.htm

Doesn't this need to be made clear in here?

I don't really understand why I change this setting in this separate dialogue box, rather than the OIP for the window instance, which would seem more intuitive.

Also, do I have to go round every single window and change this "use wall closure" setting? I can't choose it per window style, for example?

49 minutes ago, Julian Carr said:

You can select multiple WinDoor/Window/Door instances, then right click on one on the selected objects, choose Plug-in Object Options, turn on Use Wall Closure and it will be applied to all selected objects.

Ok, thanks.

I don't understand why this can't be set by style and/or in the OIP box, but in any case I think it needs to be made clearer on the VW help page, because it says this:

2006581443_Screenshot2021-09-23at13_06_30.thumb.jpg.80ab58aac945c006f0ff5510a8a70aea.jpg

You have to read the green text very carefully to understand that you need to go to the "plug-in options" dialogue, and not to the "Wall closure" button on the OIP to get things to work:

1841010433_Screenshot2021-09-23at13_06_12.jpg.1085c0fe845ca690450488dd70dfa4ab.jpg

Because that's where most people will expect to find settings that apply to a particular object.

I bet that 90% of Vectorworks users who want to try this out will spend quite some time fiddling with wall closure settings in the Wall and Window object OIPs, find that they have no effect, and give up or assume something isn't working.

• Like 1

Hello all,

Slightly off the above topic however still a relavent WinDoor question.. Sorta. 

I am trying to creat a custom record using WinDoor - Windows & doors preformated as a reference. I am essentially tryingo to create a Schedule that will utilise both Window & door types.

I am wondwering if there is a Formula / script or way to add the room numbers in the same way as the ID's are displayed so for example every door / window are linked to the relavent spaces which in turn have been numbered.

=RUNSCRIPT(120, 'WinDoor WS Functions/WSListIDs.vss') is the script used to show the List of doors by type as per the attached screenshot. I would like to be able to also list each room / space where the specific door type is located. I have tried using formulae such as ='space'.'11_Number' & defining a user field within the specified door / window type to link to Space number also but that won't display the relavent number either. 

My guess is that because the List has multiple ID's associated the formulae to generate the room no. breaks as it is trying to only display 1 value so I am wondering if this is even possible or if there is a potential work around?

Thanks in advance! - Daniel.

843630728_Worksheet.thumb.jpg.730ffc45d1ea730d264d046112f235bb.jpg

The WSListIDs.vss script is only going to work for IDs. It would be possible to create a script that worked with a specific User field that was storing room numbers and populate them into a single cell, but it is not  a trivial task and would need python or Vectorscript knowledge to accomplish it.

FYI, all the WinDoor videos are now at the Vectorworks University here

• Like 2

Thank you for the replies. 

@Julian Carr I thought that may be the case alright! Probably not worth it as I have 0 knowledge of writing script. 

@Boh I meant to say in the original message that I have tried linking all Window / door objects to their relavent spaces as per the video tutorial. All of the spaces are in turn, all saved as specific styles which have been numbered.

I am able to see a linked space number if the ID list script is omitted & Summarize values is unchecked.