Symbols cutting through bottom of walls?

Peter,

I have 'lowered' or created a buck in the concrete wall where the door occurs and have inserted the door in the wood wall with the bottom of the door being lower than the bottom of the wall. The problem is the symbol does not completely cut-out the bottom of the wood wall and this shows up in the perspective rendering.I can send you the image if you like. Thanks.

A couple things come to mind. Is the "use wall thickness" box checked for the Jamb Thickness in the Plug-in? If not, try that... Or maybe you need to actually uncheck the "use wall thickness" and then make your door actually a bit thicker, or try moveing it toward the outside with the "offset" settings. One other idea: is there perhaps a duplicate of the wall hiding there???

I am drawing a garage where I have a wood frame wall on top of a concrete foundation wall. The bottoms of the overhead door and man door need to be below the bottom of the wood wall. I have inserted these symbols correctly but when I render the building the bottom of the wood wall still shows even though the doors are cutting through it. How do I get rid of that line? - If anybody wants to help I can email them a image to illustrate what I mean. Thanks.

There are a couple ways: First, you'll need to make sure that your frm'd wall actually sits ON TOP OF the conc. wall below. Do this by adjusting the "z" value of the wall then change the "bottom z" to equal the top of the concr. wall. Now, if you insert your doors into the concr wall, you will need to create a "dummy" door in the frm'd wall (usually I would use a cased opening of the appropriate size & placement). Conversely, you could insert the door into the frm'd wall, lower then the correct amount (so they will actually stick out of the bottom) then either create a "dummy" in the concr. wall or better yet, draw the concrete wall so that it does not occur at the doors, which IMO is much more "real life" accurate. Hope that makes sense!

I've faced this same dilemma and solved it by extending the framed wall "down" to the bottom of the door. Since my framed walls are narrower than the supporting foundation wall, they "disappear" into the concrete. . .but the lines left at the bottom of the wall, when the door tool cuts everything else out, are at least where they belong.

Obviously, this only works in a limited way. It would be difficult to prepare accurate framing details from these over-long walls, for example. But if elevations and 3Ds are all that are needed, just make sure both layers (framed and foundation walls) are always linked in the view.

Good luck