Jump to content
  • 0

2022 - Wall Component Modeling


Tom Klaber

Question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 hour ago, E|FA said:
On 10/20/2021 at 4:18 PM, Matt Panzer said:

Showing a gap between the GWB and the window jamb is arguably a higher level of detail than typically shown in floor plan and would be clarified in a separate detail drawing. 

 

I'm definitely zooming in too far on a floor plan!

 

🤣  Certainly an easy thing to get caught up in.  Something you would never think about when hand drawing a floor plan.

Of course, we eventually want to cover as many cases as we can moving forward.

 

1 hour ago, E|FA said:

If this is working as designed, it is not an issue for me.  Thanks again.

 

No problem!

Link to comment
  • 0

My first stab at the Wall Closure Settings. I'm trying to achieve this:

926640446_Screenshot2021-11-02at21_31_24.thumb.png.facfc74245ad2d3cf3edf445c99f2c7d.png

 

But the best I can come up with is this:

537076907_Screenshot2021-11-02at21_22_18.thumb.png.b6c57b1480ade6706a1d7aeaaf974401.png

 

Or this:

1808061173_Screenshot2021-11-02at21_23_03.thumb.png.319071bce17efc9bc28343f09f461184.png

 

I've tried every combination of settings I can think of.

 

@Matt Panzer is it only possible to wrap one component past the jamb? e.g.:

906874613_Screenshot2021-11-02at21_55_16.thumb.png.938f536747f190069748c2b3718bd6b2.png

 

Even when I do this the profile offset is in addition to the thickness of the component:

1378141789_Screenshot2021-11-02at21_59_28.thumb.png.ae72fabe6331cf03e2767d54b14107a4.png

 

Meaning the back of the component + the back of the jamb aren't aligning with each other (like they do in your video).

 

Probably not the best wall style to have chosen to demonstrate this with given it has a 2.5mm thick inner component but hopefully you get the idea. Could I post a file for you to look at yet again?

 

Thank you

Link to comment
  • 0
6 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:


Ues. Please post the file and I’ll have a look.

Much appreciated. Here it is. Thank you

 

Wall closure test-ii.vwx

 

This is what you see when you open the file:

1374887377_Screenshot2021-11-03at06_19_17.thumb.png.e0b7d570cddb960095615dfaf23e6306.png

This is using the settings I would have expected to have given me the results I wanted (as shown in the first screenshot in the previous post + which I achieved by drawing it by hand). So be great to know why these settings instead give the results shown here. Why does only the first component extend to the jamb/insert + the subsequent two stop at the centre of core? In the previous post I had to add negative offsets to those components to have them extend the desired distance. 

 

Also, does it make any difference whether you set the wall closure parameters in the wall or the door? These are just two different ways of accessing the same settings right? I mean the 'Wall Closure' dialog box for the door + the 'Wall Closure at Inserts' dialog for the wall.

 

Thanks!

Link to comment
  • 0
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
6 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Much appreciated. Here it is. Thank you

 

Wall closure test-ii.vwx

 

This is what you see when you open the file:

 

This is using the settings I would have expected to have given me the results I wanted (as shown in the first screenshot in the previous post + which I achieved by drawing it by hand). So be great to know why these settings instead give the results shown here. Why does only the first component extend to the jamb/insert + the subsequent two stop at the centre of core? In the previous post I had to add negative offsets to those components to have them extend the desired distance. 

 

There's an issue where the Interior Profile Offsets are being affected by the Exterior Profile Offsets.  I believe this is a known issue but I submitted another bug report with this file to make sure this is the same case.

 

The only way I can currently get the three interior components to look correct is to add Exterior Left and Right Profile Offsets of 26mm so they match the interior offsets.  Of course this makes the exterior side of the opening incorrect.

 

6 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Also, does it make any difference whether you set the wall closure parameters in the wall or the door? These are just two different ways of accessing the same settings right? I mean the 'Wall Closure' dialog box for the door + the 'Wall Closure at Inserts' dialog for the wall.

 

Right.  Basically, the Wall Style can have the settings and Wall instances can use the Wall Style Settings or they can choose to use their own.  Likewise, each insert can choose to use the wall settings or choose to use their own.

Link to comment
  • 0

OK thanks for checking. And for submitting the new bug. I appreciate it's probably not something you're in a position to say either way but hypothetically is this the kind of thing that might be dealt with in the next service pack? Or is it less straightforward than that?

Thank you 

Link to comment
  • 0
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 hours ago, Tom W. said:

OK thanks for checking. And for submitting the new bug. I appreciate it's probably not something you're in a position to say either way but hypothetically is this the kind of thing that might be dealt with in the next service pack? Or is it less straightforward than that?

Thank you 

 

Unfortunately, I have no idea what's involved in fixing this.  However, it is a very high priority bug and we will do our bets to address it ASAP.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • 0
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 hours ago, _James said:

@Matt Panzer I have to ask, what is in the 💥 menu in your Vectorworks!?

 

Ah yes.  That's my "blast" menu! 😉 

Back in my PanzerCAD days, I had a "PCS" (PanzerCAD Services) menu that I kept my custom commands (or commands that are not part of the standard workspace).  Once we had Unicode support, I found the explosion icon character more compact and easy to find.  Plus it's kinda' fun.  🙂 

 

BTW:  I also have a similar 💥 tool palette.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 0
On 10/18/2021 at 7:06 AM, Matt Panzer said:

These are Window object Issues - I'll enter a bug report for these:

3.     Glass should inset into jamb and post by 1/2".

4.     Line thickness incorrect at and of glass.

5.     Wall line (from Draw Wall Lines setting) should be drawn below window graphics.

6.     In 3D, there’s a piece of white geometry protruding out of the window frame.

7.     Corner post looks correct in Top/Plan but the 3D geometry is not at the corner.

@Matt Panzer I didn't check on everything, but item 7 was not corrected in SP2.  Can you offer any updates or guidance?

Link to comment
  • 0
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 hour ago, E|FA said:
On 10/18/2021 at 10:06 AM, Matt Panzer said:

These are Window object Issues - I'll enter a bug report for these:

3.     Glass should inset into jamb and post by 1/2".

4.     Line thickness incorrect at and of glass.

5.     Wall line (from Draw Wall Lines setting) should be drawn below window graphics.

6.     In 3D, there’s a piece of white geometry protruding out of the window frame.

7.     Corner post looks correct in Top/Plan but the 3D geometry is not at the corner.

@Matt Panzer I didn't check on everything, but item 7 was not corrected in SP2.  Can you offer any updates or guidance?

 

Unfortunately, some of the corner window issues did not get fixed for 2022 SP2.

They are still a very high priority but I cannot give any definite time frame for when this will be fixed.

I will do what I can to bump this up even more.

Link to comment
  • 0

Thanks.  From my perspective, getting performance improvements to more typical door/window/wall assemblies and killing the bug where everything goes crazy are much more important than the 3D visualization of corner widows.  Did we get any performance boosts or improvements/fixes to Walls & Windows in SP2?

Link to comment
  • 0
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
20 hours ago, E|FA said:

Did we get any performance boosts or improvements/fixes to Walls & Windows in SP2?

 

Yes.  I've been seeing a 150% - 300% speed improvements in wall resets.  While this is a nice improvement, there's still room for more and we're continuing to investigate other possible improvements.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • 0
On 9/16/2021 at 2:31 AM, Matt Panzer said:

You can get to the Plug-in Options via right-clicking on a plug-in or plug-in style (in the Resource Manager) and choosing Edit Plug-in Options.  This setting is off by default for now mainly due to some performance issues that we’re currently working to improve.  After this and some other possible tweaks are done, the “Use wall closure” option will likely be turned on by default.

@Matt Panzer is this still relevant information after SP2 update?

Shall we continue to control 'wall closure' instance by instance and not control it globally through using plugin options in RM...?

Link to comment
  • 0
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
3 minutes ago, drelARCH said:
On 9/15/2021 at 8:31 PM, Matt Panzer said:

You can get to the Plug-in Options via right-clicking on a plug-in or plug-in style (in the Resource Manager) and choosing Edit Plug-in Options.  This setting is off by default for now mainly due to some performance issues that we’re currently working to improve.  After this and some other possible tweaks are done, the “Use wall closure” option will likely be turned on by default.

@Matt Panzer is this still relevant information after SP2 update?

Shall we continue to control 'wall closure' instance by instance and not control it globally through using plugin options in RM...?

 

"Use wall closure" will remain off by default for Vectorworks 2022.

If you want closures for all instances of a style, I would control it "by style".  Otherwise, you may want it by instance.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 0

Matt,  can you clarify which closure & wrapping settings for walls, doors, and windows are best left turned off for the time being in order to maximize performance.  

 

In the Wall Style -> "Wall Closure at Inserts" settings, is it OK to leave the Wrap & Wrap to Insert checkmarks turned on, and then uncheck "Use Wall Closures" in the "Plug in Objects Style Options..." (right click on PIO in RM) for all my Windows or Doors (by style)?  I'd like to keep all the settings I've worked on, but disable the functionality for now so that I can reduce the lag & delays.

 

I've also unchecked Energos "Include in calculations" and "Create niche for space object" for all Windows/Walls/Doors (by style) in the hope that it will speed things up (and because I don't use Energos or Spaces).  Does this help, and are there any other settings I can change to help minimize lag?

Edited by E|FA
typo
Link to comment
  • 0
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
9 hours ago, E|FA said:

Matt,  can you clarify which closure & wrapping settings for walls, doors, and windows are best left turned off for the time being in order to maximize performance.  

 

Basically, the more complex the condition, the slower the performance.  Wrapped round profiles are the slowest with wrapped splay profile next.  If you're only using straight profiles, things should less affected.

 

9 hours ago, E|FA said:

In the Wall Style -> "Wall Closure at Inserts" settings, is it OK to leave the Wrap & Wrap to Insert checkmarks turned on, and then uncheck "Use Wall Closures" in the "Plug in Objects Style Options..." (right click on PIO in RM) for all my Windows or Doors (by style)?  I'd like to keep all the settings I've worked on, but disable the functionality for now so that I can reduce the lag & delays.

 

Yes.  The closure settings won't affect anything unless "Use wall closure" is on for the insert.

 

9 hours ago, E|FA said:

I've also unchecked Energos "Include in calculations" and "Create niche for space object" for all Windows/Walls/Doors (by style) in the hope that it will speed things up (and because I don't use Energos or Spaces).  Does this help, and are there any other settings I can change to help minimize lag?

 

I don't believe these settings will make any noticeable difference in performance.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...