VW2022 "shaded" view flickering hatches & patterns

line-weight

Question

First test run of VW2022 immediately produces some major problems using "shaded" (previously OpenGL) view.

These flickering patterns seem to appear on objects that are within a certain distance range of the viewpoint. I have reproduced it in two different files.

Turning off "draw edges" in "shaded options" makes it go away.

I was already experiencing this in VW2021 (see posts here) but it's even worse in VW2022.

This is on an M1 mac mini.

• Like 2

Hi line-weight

With the layer scale 1:1 it's better visible. I don't know if this bug can be fixed in a service pack. If the risk is too great that other areas will be negatively affected, Vectorworks tends to be reluctant. This is never what one would personally like or hope, but of course correct for quality reasons.

Best regards, Marc

12 hours ago, MaWi said:

Hi line-weight

With the layer scale 1:1 it's better visible. I don't know if this bug can be fixed in a service pack. If the risk is too great that other areas will be negatively affected, Vectorworks tends to be reluctant. This is never what one would personally like or hope, but of course correct for quality reasons.

Best regards, Marc

Well, this is a bug that doesn't exist (or at least, is much less significant) in VW2021. So, something was changed inbetween VW2021 and 2022, and this area was negatively affected, and evidently insufficient testing was carried out, which we can perhaps agree was incorrect for quality reasons.

Furthermore, it was carried over into VW2023, without being fixed, which we can perhaps also agree was incorrect for quality reasons.

• Like 2
On 9/15/2021 at 3:13 PM, line-weight said:

First test run of VW2022 immediately produces some major problems using "shaded" (previously OpenGL) view.

These flickering patterns seem to appear on objects that are within a certain distance range of the viewpoint. I have reproduced it in two different files.

Turning off "draw edges" in "shaded options" makes it go away.

I was already experiencing this in VW2021 (see posts here) but it's even worse in VW2022.

This is on an M1 mac mini.

Would it be possible to see these files @line-weight I wanted to try and give a quick look at them to see if i can "fix" the issue?

On 11/5/2022 at 11:59 AM, line-weight said:

omething was changed inbetween VW2021 and 2022

It's strange that it doesn't occur more often with me (and my customers), especially since often the edges are turned on in the shaded model. But I have many customers who work without edges in the shaded model and therefore do not see the error.

I could imagine that it is a bug of the new tessellation. As far as I know, this was introduced in 2022. I know that Vectorworks is trying to fix the bug as soon as possible...hope that it will be possible for SP3. Unfortunately I don't think, that it's possible for SP2.

7 hours ago, MaWi said:

It's strange that it doesn't occur more often with me (and my customers), especially since often the edges are turned on in the shaded model. But I have many customers who work without edges in the shaded model and therefore do not see the error.

I could imagine that it is a bug of the new tessellation. As far as I know, this was introduced in 2022. I know that Vectorworks is trying to fix the bug as soon as possible...hope that it will be possible for SP3. Unfortunately I don't think, that it's possible for SP2.

Yes, it has been mentioned in another thread that they hope to fix it in SP2 for VW2023.

Given that this was identified as a problem as soon as VW2022 was released, as this thread proves, I can't agree that this counts as "as soon as possible".

It's taken more than a year even to acknowledge that there's a bug.

To be honest, whether it's fixed in SP2 or SP3 of VW2023, I don't really mind - what's valuable to me as a user is just to know that it's actively being looked at, instead of being blankly ignored.

• Like 1
On 11/7/2022 at 1:40 PM, line-weight said:

To be honest, whether it's fixed in SP2 or SP3 of VW2023, I don't really mind - what's valuable to me as a user is just to know that it's actively being looked at, instead of being blankly ignored.

Hi @line-weight, because my own verification experiments seemed to add value to this case, I made my own bug submission about this in on 9/9/2022. It has been commented on by an engineer (so it has their attention) and they indicated that there are multiple potential causes for this behaviour and that a bug submission already exists for at least one of them. If enough people are affected and suitably vocal about this, it will have an impact on what resources are thrown at this problem, but as you are clearly aware their progress is likely contingent on many factors. 

• Like 2

So - I am finally getting around to switching from VW2021 to 2023.

And it's great that this issue has been mostly fixed in VW2023. It's not actually completely fixed, as you can see from my video below, but it's good enough. It's fine.

HOWEVER now I have a new issue, which is what happens to the geometry when you want to view it closely. As can be seen in the video below.

I've made a new thread about this:

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/104845-vw2023-is-slicing-my-models-in-front-of-my-eyes-shaded-view/

This new problem is sufficiently disruptive that I'm now wondering if I still can't start using 2023 for real work.

This is software that I pay for, and under the new regime I have to pay for it every year whether I like it or not. I paid for VW2022 and it was unusable. I've paid for VW2023 and it seems it's still unusable. In a couple of months I'll have to pay for the year's subscription that will eventually get me VW2024. It's starting to look like I'll then have made three yearly payments to Vectorworks, for software that I can't use.

Please please please can we get this new issue sorted. And please can VW thoroughly test new versions in perspective mode, because it feels like this doesn't happen. Or am I some kind of fringe case, working in perspective shaded view?

• Like 1
On 1/23/2023 at 8:38 PM, Jeremy Best said:

Hi @line-weight, yesterday I saw a contribution to the bug submission for this. It was a video recreating the symptom you describe above - let's call it, 'geometric object peeling.' Just letting you know it is continuing to receive due attention. 

Thanks. This I think is a result of me submitting it as a bug a week or two ago; I had email confirmation that it's being looked at.