VW2022 "shaded" view flickering hatches & patterns

line-weight

Question

First test run of VW2022 immediately produces some major problems using "shaded" (previously OpenGL) view.

These flickering patterns seem to appear on objects that are within a certain distance range of the viewpoint. I have reproduced it in two different files.

Turning off "draw edges" in "shaded options" makes it go away.

I was already experiencing this in VW2021 (see posts here) but it's even worse in VW2022.

This is on an M1 mac mini.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bcd said:

I see someting similar on Windows.  By turning off Shader Options>Draw Edges the issue seems to resolve.

Are you viewing in perspective, or orthogonal mode? It seems that it may be an issue when viewing in perspective (which is what I always use when in 3d) but not in orthogonal (which seems to be how a lot of people work but I don't get on with it).

4 hours ago, Kazemester said:

I had a similar visual bug that was here forever, but it happened to me when i made huge models (over 2km site models) or the model was far from the origin.

In VW2021 it was sometimes happening for me on a quite big model that is about 0.5km x 0.5km in size but in VW2022 it's happening on much smaller models too.

• Sad 1
19 minutes ago, line-weight said:

Are you viewing in perspective, or orthogonal mode? It seems that it may be an issue when viewing in perspective (which is what I always use when in 3d) but not in orthogonal (which seems to be how a lot of people work but I don't get on with it).

Yes the issue is persistant in Perspective with Draw Edges turned on in a VW2021 file converted to VW2022, not otherwise.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @bcd in the test file the Crease Angle is set to 1 degree which is why this one shows so many noisy edges.  The default for crease angle is usually 70 degrees.  Set it higher and this one will not show so much noise.

FYI Also if you set to 0 degrees you will get pretty much only silhouette edges which might be a look you might like.

• Like 2

I've just downloaded SP2 and have tested to see if this problem still exists. It is definitely improved, but it's still there. See videos below, one of a "real" model and one of the same test file I posted above. This is with crease angle set to 100.

I'd appreciate if anyone from VW could comment on whether this is still being worked on, or if this is as good as it's going to get. Because if there will be no further improvement I'll have to decide whether there is some workaround I can live with. For example, I always have design layers set at 1:1 scale, and changing this to 1:10 improves this problem somewhat. But that means making changes to entire drawing files which I fear will mess things up in unexpected ways. Also, a reason I have scale set to 1:1 is that it allows finer control over motion when I am navigating in 3d using a 3dconnexion device.

If the plan is for it to be improved further in future SPs then I will probably wait until the next one to decide whether I'm going to move to VW2022 or not.

On 12/2/2021 at 9:36 AM, line-weight said:

I'd appreciate if anyone from VW could comment on whether this is still being worked on, or if this is as good as it's going to get. Because if there will be no further improvement I'll have to decide whether there is some workaround I can live with. For example, I always have design layers set at 1:1 scale, and changing this to 1:10 improves this problem somewhat. But that means making changes to entire drawing files which I fear will mess things up in unexpected ways. Also, a reason I have scale set to 1:1 is that it allows finer control over motion when I am navigating in 3d using a 3dconnexion device.

@Dave Donley or @jblock can you help at all with my query above?