Wishlist – VW 2022: Select multible faces for texture application

Kaare Baekgaard

Question

The new Texture tool is a welcome addition, and it is almost great.

I wish we could shift-click to add faces to a selection - like we do when we add faces to a Shell Solid selection.

I really, really wish I could add all tangent faces to a selection.

This would be extremely useful for displaying different textures for the inside and outside surfaces of a shell - or a lamp.

7 answers to this question

Once you have shift-clicked, the new tool would have already textured the faces because the cursor holds the texture. Don't you think your wish adds extra clicks? You can select multiple faces of an object from the Object Information Palette and that way you can swap out textures or do some of the rudimentary mapping that the Object Information Palette allows.

I think the new Texture Tool is very intuitive and has been extremely well designed.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, markdd said:

Once you have shift-clicked, the new tool would have already textured the faces because the cursor holds the texture. Don't you think your wish adds extra clicks? You can select multiple faces of an object from the Object Information Palette and that way you can swap out textures or do some of the rudimentary mapping that the Object Information Palette allows.

I think the new Texture Tool is very intuitive and has been extremely well designed.

I do not disagree, but the objects that I work with often have hundreds of faces and the textures are subtle and do not give a lot of instant feedback. The wish is quite reasonable, if you consider it again.

Edited by Kaare Baekgaard
spelling
Guest Shengxi Wu

Hi @Kaare Baekgaard, thanks for your feedback.

In fact whether a face should be selectable is a big debate while we designing the new Texture tool.

If the purpose is to help users applying texture on complicated object with hundreds of faces, that probably means we not only need to add the ability for users to add faces to a selection, but also a more robust way to select faces (i.e., loop/ring selection, expand/shrink selection, soft selection... etc), which could be a complicated topic that requires further investigation and research.

We decided to start by addressing the basic problem first. Click-to-apply seems to be a much faster way of applying texture on a simple geometry (which is what the tool is designed for at this stage). The Texture tool will evolve and we will think about how to improve it.

16 hours ago, Shengxi Wu said:

Hi @Kaare Baekgaard, thanks for your feedback.

I get that Shengxi - but I am allowed to wish 🙂

While we are at it, I played around with the render tab of the OIP – And i noticed, that I now have much better control over the old, estranged Add Decal feature, which I think has been largely unused since it was conceived. (The nice trick is to add the decal to a texture override face)

This could become useful. Except that the decal does not show up in the Shaded/Opengl render mode, but only in the Renderworks mode.

I hope, that this is an easy fix, and if so I wish you would fix it.

On 9/17/2021 at 7:52 AM, Kaare Baekgaard said:

Except that the decal does not show up in the Shaded/Opengl render mode, but only in the Renderworks mode.

I hope, that this is an easy fix, and if so I wish you would fix it.

I have just run into this after using Decals for the first time. I agree it would be useful to be able to see Decals in Shaded.