A tip when going from "Wall Detail" to the new "Wall Closure" in v2022

If you're updating an existing file to use the new Wall Closure feature in v2022 to wrap components instead of the Wall Detail feature, don't deactivate Wall Detail, just set it to 0.

This way if you want to go back to using Wall Detail it will remember where you dragged the wrapped component to. If you deactivate and reactivate Wall Detail you'll need to re-drag all the wrapped components to where you had them.

• Like 1

Also it seems not to be turned on by default if you just make a quick wall and drop in an unstyled window to test? (unless I'm doing it wrong which is definitely possible!)

Instead you need to create a symbol of the window, and turn on "use wall closure" from the "plug in object style options" from the resource manager.

Two steps forwards and one step back - I wonder what the reasoning is for keeping both "wall detail" and adding "wall closure"? Surely "wall detail" could have been improved to have this functionality rather than make a new workflow?

1 hour ago, _James said:

Also it seems not to be turned on by default if you just make a quick wall and drop in an unstyled window to test? (unless I'm doing it wrong which is definitely possible!)

Instead you need to create a symbol of the window, and turn on "use wall closure" from the "plug in object style options" from the resource manager.

I believe this feature was a pretty major engineering effort so the first step was to get the functionality built in and then we'll likely see it become the default in a later release once it's matured and they're confident there are no issues. The main issue for now is performance as I understand it; performance when using closures slows exponentially for a wall as more inserts with closures are added.

(by the way, Wall Closures only works with native plug-in window and doors for now, not symbols nor WinDoor objects.)

1 hour ago, _James said:

Two steps forwards and one step back - I wonder what the reasoning is for keeping both "wall detail" and adding "wall closure"? Surely "wall detail" could have been improved to have this functionality rather than make a new workflow?

There're two things going on here I think. One is that they don't want to make this default behaviour yet, for the above reasons, and the other is simply backward compatibility with existing files.

• Like 1

Fair enough, keeping backwards comparability makes sense.

I often wonder what VW employees think when (if) they read these comments, “this guy thinks he knows what he wants but he doesn’t understand at all…” 

probably the same feeling we have with clients some times. 

Hopefully they remember to get rid of wall components when wall closure is more mature and keep things simple. 

In future it would be great if things can be directly edited too. Editing wall closures by VW generating a section of the window in question and wall components can be dragged to the correct position rather than editing in a table with numbers would be very nice and much more intuitive. This is a good first step in any case though. 

Edited by _James