Linking Values to Populate on Drawing

MattG

Here is a really odd topic/silly thing but I'm curious to see if there is a good way to do this. 

Completely silly and unrelated to anything normal drawing wise.  I started coaching youth baseball and am currently coaching a T-Ball team. They were having a hard time with the positions so I drew a small lineup card in VW.

Off to the side I made a little worksheet that has the batting order/line up on it.  I also drew in symbols at each position where the players should be playing in the field.  We are only playing 3 innings in t-ball so at each position in the field I have a symbol with what looks like a little worksheet in it that has 3 rows below it listing who plays that position first, second, and third. 

Off to the side I have a batting order and position lineup.  We change the order and positions every inning so right now there is essentially 3 worksheets smooshed together to show three different innings.

My curiosity here is if I did this all once in either the batting order lineup or on the positions on the field would there be an easy way to link the information in one item to the information in the other so I don't have to manually move all of that around a second time?

Good on you for coaching 🙂

I’m a bit confused by your description of what you are trying to do.

You essentially have a database situation where the player’s name is the key field and their position per inning and batting number per inning varies…. and is not directly related I assume (ie position does not determine batting order).

Maybe post an image of what you are trying to do graphically and some ideas of how to make it easy will be inspired.  I can think of a few ways to do it graphically and with recorders to make your lineup cards as worksheets.  Do you want to make separate field diagrams for the positions for each inning or would you prefer to just have one field diagram with the person playing the position for a given inning noted beside the position?  Who is the audience…the coach or the kids?  I would make a separate diagram for each inning to keep confusion to a minimum.

Let me see if I can find you something Matt.

A long time ago when I was coaching youth soccer, I did something similar. I used scripts to "swap" players between positions, with some of the positions being sitting on the bench. 

Take a look at the attached file.  I created a record with fields for position, the player for each inning and then that players batting order during the inning.

For display I would probably duplicate the worksheet, pick just one of the batting order columns, and sort the worksheet based on that batting order.

Ask again if you need more help.

T-Ball Worksheet Test.vwx

• Like 1

So I did a manual version of what I am describing.  See the attached screen shot.  This is on a sheet layer. I semi redacted as I didn't want to show the kids names.  But basically there is a worksheet with a order 1-9 in the far left column.  There are "players" populated in there at different positions.  This rotates each inning.  This is easy if it was just one inning.  Trying to figure out how to do this for 3 inning for 3 separate instances of the lineup.  The arrows show where I would want those names to populate.

Does that make sense?

Screenshot 2021-09-14 161219.jpg

• Like 1